Test PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition 2011?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloud, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Okay. I installed PCT Firewall Plus first and then the Antivirus. I excluded a few processes to reduce the AV's resource impact, so far so good. ;)

Current Setup:
    Realtime: PC Tools Antivirus, PC Tools Firewall Plus
    On-Demand: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free
    Prevention: N/A

Is that good enough? Or should add another on-demand scanner and a prevention tool (like SpywareBlaster)? I was thinking about adding Immunet to the team as well, but I didn't want to over do it and I wasn't sure if my "little fella" can handle all the pressure. As I am typing this, CPU tends to remain between 2-20% (normal operation) and memory stays glued at 70%. (When I first launch task manager the CPU is at 87%, then to 23% and back to between 2-20%. I assume this is just how tskmanager works as it had a similar % when no antivirus or third-party firewall was installed.)

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Add ThreatFire, you will have a crippled down version of PC Tools Internet Security then. You will really need it, in my eyes PC Tools Antvirus Free sucks, ThreatFire will add a lot of protection.

3. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I was thinking about adding threatfire, but like I had said before "I wasn't sure" if my netbook can handle it. My specs are listed above if you haven't already taken a look. I have used threatfire before (before they released a minor update last month) and I removed it following day because of the resource usage.

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Then SpywareBlaster could indeed be a good possibility.

5. carat

carat Guest

These annoying ads suck as well :gack:

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

7. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I would not use PCTools for anything. I had their Paid product a few years ago. It was terrible. It stopped nothing.I had several virus's over a year and a half. Then after I cancelled and went with another AV they billed me (auto withdraw) for 3 years. Every year I had to call and Bit*&*^ about getting billed. Then it would take the 3 months to refund my money. Their AV sucks !

8. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

So beyond that, it was pretty slick? Sorry, couldn't resist.

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Anyone tryed this AV lately? Since PC tools is part of Symantec maybe they use Norton signatures?

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

11. carat

carat Guest

Does it still nag with these ugly ads? :(

12. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Only if you don't pay for it.

13. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

My problem with PC Tools is with all of the ads, if they remove the ads and replace with 1 unobtrusive ad I would use it. Also if they set the database to full it would better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.