terabyte image to dos or true image 2010 home?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gavogavo, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavogavo

gavogavo Registered Member

I'm currently useing true image 2010 and haven't had any problems but I hear honour storys from alot of people. I looked into terabyte image for dos or linux and have heard very good things however it not as mainstream so I can't find a good soild review or someone comparing it. I'm trying to clone multiple computers that are the same that are single core p4 with xp pro. Anyone speak from experience? Or have a good review to share comparing them?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders :)
    Of course. !!
    LOL: flag waver for Terabyte here :D
    There is nothing I have'nt been able to do with Terabyte wrt disc management, boot management, images, restores ( can ocassionally have a 'learning curve' :) )

Search the forums for imaging threads: many great discussions
    Ask Pandlouk or BrianK 0r Peter2150 or sully or n8chavez : gurus all.
    Faves for imaging here tend to be:
    Macrium
    Terabyte
    ShadowProtect
    Drive Snapshot

PE discs with plug-ins have been worked out well in various threads.

Some other options for straight cloning are around.

You'll get lots of info by searching here.
    This recent thread will give you a taste of discussions...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264223

Terabyte flys 'under the radar' a bit; small company, fiercely loyal and demanding user base.
    Check the Terabyte newsgroups for discussions to get a taste of how the tools work.
    Search the KB: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/
    Have a roam here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-bootit-next-generation.htm
    and here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-bootit-next-generation.htm

No doubt more expert users will post back.
    ( heh prolly cop a belting for not mentioning Acronis/Paragon as an option: I just never used them )

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I found these comments on Ghost, Acronis and Image for Windows:

http://www.pcnet-online.com/content/utilities/bare-metal-recovery.htm

One "BIG" plus for using Image for DOS/Image for Linux is that when you make the backup image to DVD(s) the first DVD is bootable. When you want to restore from the DVD(s) that you made, you simply boot the first DVD and you are given a choice of whether or not to restore the image (Choices: "YES" or "NO").

The DOS/Linux GUI's (Graphical User Interfaces) took some getting used to.

Some time back an "Automatic" restore option was added to Image for DOS/Image for Linux. If you are Restoring the Image to the exact same partition you made the Image from, the "Automatic" restore option make things easier.

I would spend the extra $8.99 and buy Image for Windows. You get a license for both Image for DOS and Image for Linux with the purchase of Image for Windows.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Hello gavogavo. I'm glad you are interested in imaging. In my opinion, it should be the first line of defense for any PC user. But keep in mind that any image, not matter what application is used to create that image, should be stored on (or copied on) an external harddrive. That way you are sure to prevent data loss if your system drive crashes or becomes unusable.

That being said, Image for Windows is a very good program. Yes, it has features like sector-by-sector verification and creates bootable disc images. It will exactly what you want, perhaps with a little help from the hardware independent restore thread (and TBOSDT Pro) that Longboard pointed you to. But I would have to give it a thumbs down. There are a few things that go against it. It walks the line between being geeky and simplistic elegance, but does neither very well. It's imaging times are something that needs to be improved upon. It uses the module approach, meanig that improvements seem to be made by using modules, or addons (see TBIView and Phylock). Those may not bother you but there are applications I like much more, namely Drive Snapshot.

But everything depends on the features you want and the way you want they presented to you. Drive Snapshot is completely portable and does the majority of the things the IFW, and most other imaging applications, for about 1/10 the size.

Pick up TBOSDT Pro though. After reading that thread you'll know that there's no need on spending nearly $100 for Shadow Protect hardware independent restoring abilities.

5. gavogavo

So terabyte is a superior product to true image if you just want to make a image and put it on a external. It didnt corrupt images as much? what about ghost suite 2.5 anyone use that and look it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Terabyte for the win!! I've been using their products steadily for many years after learning about them on this forum. Rock Solid and just gets better and better. I've never had a backup that wasn't 100%, there's no reason to even verify the backup but if you wanted to they have a bit for bit verification ;)

Acronis has some nice utils but they aren't reliable at all. Acronis gets bloated and more bloated year after year.

7. gavogavo

k have u found the imaging and cloning to be unreliable or just there extra features.

8. timcan

timcan Registered Member

hi, the terabyte license is good for 3 computers. :cool:

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Can you point to a link for that statement please?

10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

11. timcan

timcan Registered Member

sorry :) I like the part about being a real person :)

12. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Excellent - I do feel real :D and having recently bought a copy for one of my pc I did not even know that I can use it on two more pc :thumb:

13. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Another vote for Terabyte. I purchased and started using Image for Windows about 4 months ago on my primary PC, migrating away from Acronis Version 11. I also have been using Macrium Free for almost a year but use IFW almost exclusively on the primary PC now. I mostly use its BartPE plugin.

Doug

14. valnar

valnar Registered Member

Another happy user of the Terabyte products. I have the whole suite and do image backups with IFL almost all the time. I prefer offline backups, though I've had no problems with IFW either.

15. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

A lot of the horror (?) stories about Acronis are true. The verification of acronis in some versions is buggy and reports an image as good, when in reality is corrupted; have not tested the 2010 version though... Generally Acronis business versions are much more reliable than the home ones.

Personally I prefer IFW/IFD/IFL for the flexibility they provide and because it never failed to restore an image that was verified as ok. Another plus is their support which is second to none.

But if Acronis works for you flawlessly, why change it? o_O

Panagiotis

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

You forgot to mention the 'power' and flexibility of BING ;)
    ( shameless fanboi-ism LOL )

17. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I'm using BootIt NG from Terabyte, and boy it offers power and precision,
    have tried all kind of multi-boot variants, never had any problem, it's so well thought it, and so easy to use (but these kind of tools demand some reading of the pdf manual) but once you did, you have pure gold in your hand, and the support from David is just excellent.

Another big thumb up for Terabyte here, all it says it does, it does extremely well, and without troubles or bugs.

I just came to replace my multi-boot system harddrive with a new one using the free CopyWipe utility from their website, and David just pointed my out everything I had to do, copying everything over, and happy surfing 1 hour later, without any need for those frequently "updated" paywares, nope, just a free tool, and everything at hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.