Tentative True Image User

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LurkinDurk, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LurkinDurk

LurkinDurk Registered Member

Please advise: I am trying to recover from a hard disk crash on a secondary disk drive. I am considering a disk imaging program. I have been backing up my data to my ZIP drive and to my secondary hard disk.
    My config is: AMD2000 CPU; 80GB HDD (System); 60GB HDD (Secondary); Win XP Pro; 512MB RAM; Iomega ZIP100, DVD; CDRW; 1.4MB FDD; DSL internet; both HDD are single NTFS partition.
    Background: I have many installed apps so slipstreaming WIN XP Pro SP1 and WIN XP Pro SP2 onto a single install CD would require re-installation of all apps if system recovery were necessary. I would rather build a disk image system recovery CD that would contain all my apps. It appears that Acronis True Image might be the answer that I need. I would like to use my secondary HDD as the backup location for the system image, but I am concerned that it's size is insufficient (60G won't hold 80G).
    Questions: Will Acronis True Image be able to make system disk images of a larger disk and store them on a smaller disk drive? Will its restore function foul up the partition on the larger disk? If I also store my data, backed up via other backup programs, on that same smaller disk would the hidden system reserve area required by True Image conflict with my data? Could I use CDRs to store the disk images? Would I be better off to buy an external USB hard disk to store the system disk images and reserve my secondary disk strictly for data?
    I would appreciate any replies. Remember I'm an old guy without much knowledge. PC's are only a hobby for me.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well ATI will only backup the used portion of ur hard disk/partition. is ur hard drive full? ATI will also compress the image a bit.

what do u mean by "hidden system reserve area required by True Image"? as long as ur seconday disk has space for the image, it should go fine and ATI wont touch your other data.

3. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Yes

Not at all

The image is not hidden. You could create a Secure Zone but for your needs, you would not need to use it.

DVDs would be more appropriate.

It's not necessary but it would certainly would be an advantage and would save you a lot of time relative to using DVDs.

You are never too old and it's a great hobby.

4. LurkinDurk

LurkinDurk Registered Member

Thank you for your advice. I will purchase ATI now based on what you have told me.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi LurkinDurk,

Before you buy, why not check out the free trial version of True Image first? Its Windows environment is fully functional but has a 15 day limitation, whilst the Linux based rescue media that you create (essential for restoring the system disk/partition in the event Windows wont boot) is non time limited but can only be used to carry out image restores.

Regards

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I was at the same point as LurkinDurk last december. I did a comparison between Ghost an True Image, and True Image won. I had the same Queston as to do I backup to CD-R or DVD+R. My DVD burner only burns DVD-R/RWs and DVD+R are cheaper, I plan to order a new DVD+R/RW Dual Layer. It should pay for itself in cheaper media, I also did some research in the difference between DVD- and DVD+. DVD+ is beter, speed wise and sound wise.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  7. Browser_ice

Browser_ice Registered Member

I too did a bit of searching and it pointed me to True Image. I have installed True Image 9 Trial version but was disapointed to find out it cannot write an image to DVD. It may seam to actualy do it but at restoration point, it won't find an image on the first DVD you did. Acronis is aware and have created a build version (3677 I belive) but the trial version is of an older build and no comittment has been done to mention when exactly will the trial version be of a newer improved build.

So in other words, if you plan on using the Trial version for backing up on DVDs you are likely to be disapointed. I am trying to find a workaround by lerking in these forums. I don't have money to buy the full version and that is why I had so much hopes for the Trial version.

I still think True image is what I need.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It is what you need, and IMO its better than ghost. and I was disappointed too that I couldn't backup directly to DVD. You could backup to the HD, then record the file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.