temp internet connection for 98 box

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by innerpeace, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I need to temporarily connect an old Windows 98SE box to the internet to stream a 8MB game on it. The game has no .exe installer so I have no choice but to get it by using a small streaming downloader/installer.

I have a wired NAT router hooked to a cable modem. I think the 98 box has a Ethernet connection. I'm not even sure if the machine is clean or not. It's been offline since 2003/2004. I plan on keeping my XP box off during the connection.

1. How should I approach this?
    2. Can I plug my LCD monitor into it or will it create problems? My LCD has the normal monitor plug in.
    3. Does Windows 98 have a firewall? I can't remember.
    4. Does 98 have services that connect out like XP does?

Thanks and if you can think of anything else that would help, let me know.

innerpeace

Edit: Just be clear, I bought the game thinking it would be a normal installer purchase with a key provided. In other words, I can download it, burn it to a cd and then install it on another computer. This was not the case with this particular game. The streaming program was an .exe, which when executed, downloaded and installed the game automatically on my XP machine. I personally don't want the game as it's old and bought it to install specifically on the 98 box as a gift.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You should be able to just plug in the 98 system and immediately have net access. Your LCD screen should work fine provided the display settings configured on the 98 box don't conflict with it. 98 doesn't have a built in firewall. I can't remember if 98 has services that connect out but i'd assume it does.

3. innerpeace

Thanks, my LCD's resolution is 1024x768, I'm not sure if the 98 box can do that. I'll have to check. I just didn't want to drag the heavy CRT monitor here lol.

I guess the NAT would protect inbound connections, so all I would have to worry about are the possible vulnerable system outbounds. I have a 6meg connection, so it shouldn't take long. There may even be a copy of Sygate on the 98 box.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

Edit: I edited my first post to be clearer about the details on the .exe part. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Depending on your network settings (fixed or DHCP assigned IP), you might need to go to "network" in the control panel and configure it. There is no built in firewall, but properly configured, 98 will do fine without one. Unless you have an app or infection that's opening a port, all the ports on 98 can be closed by configuration much more easily that on an NT system. Instructions for closing the NETBIOS ports can be found here. On most 9X systems, those will be the only ones open. 98 works very well using ethernet and broadband. The ethernet card specs will be the limiting factor. With a good ethernet card, 98 can do a 6meg speed.

98 has no services, not like an NT system. The default services on a 98 box are usually the power profile and the occasional firewall or scheduler. Nothing that connects out.

98 will handle the display resolution but you might need to install drivers for that monitor if any came with it.

Slightly off topic, if you install a firewall but don't make any permanent rules and force it to ask for every connection, you may be able to copy the installer after it's downloaded and before it's executed. I used to capture installers for Windows updates that way so I could archive them for later use. The hardest part is finding where the installer is located.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  5. innerpeace

Hi herbalist,

Thanks for your reply. Long story short, I brought the 98 box here, it had no Ethernet connection. I tried to hook it directly to the cable modem via USB. I installed sygate and went to run the 'streaming' program and it said the game was only for windows 2000,nt and xp. :ouch: The company that makes the game states it' compatible with windows 95 to xp :cautious: . The reason we wanted the game was because of a trial which is installed on the 98 box. You gotta love technology.

I may try installing it and monitoring it to decipher the installer , but I may have to wait a while until I find a little patience. I also would need to gain a bit more knowledge :).

Take care,
    innerpeace

6. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

i think in your case i would of gone out and bought a usb stick to copy the game over to the 98 pc. but usb and 98 is a battle in itself. use stick for the future / or ripped out the hard drive from 98 and put it in the other or burnt the game to disk and put it in the cd-rom of 98 or hooked one up if none. putting a 98 pc on the net is not a secure thing to do. it partial to a drive by nasty. if it had got a virus/trojan this could of transferred to your other pc easily.

7. innerpeace

Hi markymoo,

When I bought the game, I thought it was a 'whole normal installer' type of game. The company that sold me the game said it was too and most the other games they sale are 'normal' with a key. My plan was to burn the game to a disk and then install it on the 98 box, but it didn't happen that way. It was a fluke as well as my wanting an offline install of the game. The company refunded my money for the trouble and also said that if I could get it to work, it was fine with them. So I tried because the game is a favorite of my relative :). It/I failed and that happens sometimes. If I was successful I was going to tell them to re-charge the $14.

I don't think the 98 box ever did connect to the net as it probably needed drivers for the USB connection. I also shut down my other pc because I needed it's monitor for the 98 box. As far as a 98 box hooked to the internet not being safe, I believe there might be some (with the proper security) that would argue. Not me as I haven't played with 98 much, but may one day.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Huh??

I used Win98 for years without firewall, configured as Herbalist describes.

I and others never worried about such stuff, and wouldn't today if we still used it...

----
    rich

9. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

well then you was very lucky. the networking of 98 was primitive and the net was only becoming established. a 98 is wide open to attack. just because you close all ports except the ones you use don't mean you safe. exploits are rife for 98. there's no support for it now so how can you say it be ok for today's use. 98 will run so fast on todays hardware like how xp should run in a non bloatware reality. you actually saying microsoft gave a damn about security in the time of 98. they only made it abit more secure when 98 got hacked so much and that was only minimal changes. i probably get flamed now from herbalist :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.