Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/:
    This program is better than CCleaner for cleaning of temp folders because, unlike CCleaner, all users' temp folders are cleaned.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

"While cleaning temp files all open applications will be closed and the desktop will disappear"

sounds a little over dramatic for me

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, anything that makes my desktop vanish makes me nervous. I never know if the thing will come back. CCleaner does a good enough job for me, and it's never screwed anything up that I can remember. It may not get everything, but arguments can be made that temp and registry entries are safe enough to be left alone to begin with.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I used Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer in the past.
    After I tried most Disk Cleaners,
    I stayed with CCleaner and DiskMax.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ MrBrian

CCleaner is good, but does NOT locate every temp file :( so this looks nice :)

Yes very disturbing no doubt :eek: I would only think of using it offline as a precaution. Plus closing down as many apps as possible before ANY cleaning, gives it a much better chance of success. I guess that's why TFC does this.

6. microbial

microbial Registered Member

I use TFC 4 or 5 times per week and no problems yet with desktop :thumb:

7. CloneRanger

Tried it and yes it works :thumb: but the BIG problem i have with it is, after it has finished finding everything it didn't allow me to scroll and view what it has found :( A reboot is required alert shows up which even if you try to close it via the X to delay, it still reboots immediately :thumbd:

Also there is no option i could see to include/exclude anything :(

So full marks for finding/deleting all the .TMP's it does, but NONE for being able to configure it and choose.

If OT could address these issues, so much the better. I hope he can, very soon ;)

I expect the deletes are not secure ones ? At least a one pass SD would be nice :)

8. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Why would you need secure deletion?

Isn't the main objective of apps like these (ATF-Cleaner etc.) to clean Temps so that malware cleaning/scanning can proceed faster when dangers/excess crap lurking in Temps have been cleared?

You don't need secure overwrite to get rid off excess files :)

9. CloneRanger

Not just me, but lots of people who use cleaners, that have that SD option, select it. People might be surprised just how much confidential data/info etc is stored in Temp files :eek: Makes sense to use SD, if an app has it, so why not ;)

Temp files can live in comps for years, unless deleted ;)

RE - malware cleaning of Temps

Sure that's different, but even though someone would be glad to get rid of any malware related files, ALL temp files, including any/all confidential data/info etc, would be deleted unsecurely. This may or may not matter to some, but to others it most certainly will. Why, because as you might know, unsecure deletion of files can lead to 100% recovery, even with simple and free software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.