Telnet appears to be making potentially uncrypted...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by asiana, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asiana

asiana Registered Member

I often get this message while using TOR.

One of your applications probably Telnet appears to be making potentially uncrypted and unsafe connection to port 23. Anything sent over this connection could be monitored. Pls check your application’s configuration and use only encrypted protocols such as SSL if possible

How to solve this problem? Is this normal while on TOR?

Thanks a lot

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

use something like Tpcview and see what is making the attempt and then don't use if concerned as per Tor info and while using Tor

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

As well as Cudni's advice :thumb: If you don't use Telnet then i would advise disabling it, i have. If you want to know how, just ask ;)

Be interesting to find out what
    and why !

4. asiana

asiana Registered Member

pls tell me how to disable telnet. It started to have that message when I edited torcc to have US IP. But I edited again to original torcc now the message stopped too. Does it mean someone tried to hack my pc? I am not sure if really there is telnet on this pc, I know nothing about it, or it has to do with changing back to original torcc file.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@asiana

Reboot into Safe Mode. If you don't know how http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Then use the windows search for Telnet

tel.gif

Right click in turn, both telnet.exe and change the names by adding something on, for eg telnet.exerem I've shown mine BEFORE i changed them.

Reboot normally, and Telnet should be disabled.

Possibly, i would use MBAM for starters after doing the above http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and see if it finds anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.