tell a LAN ip from Internet ip

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by danielspencer2, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielspencer2

danielspencer2 Registered Member

Does anyone know a software that can tell me if an ip address is from my LAN or from the internet?

I have a firewall and some ip address like this popup:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port XXXX
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:dhcp
    xx.x.x.x:dns
    127.x.x.x:port XXXX

And i was wondering if there is any software where i type in the ip address and it tells me if it's on my LAN or from the internet. o_O

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

This may help a bit in identifying LAN vs WAN IP`s.

And this may help concerning the 127.0.0.x

The x usually equals 1.

Not aware of any software that identifies IP`s as LAN or WAN. The IP ranges are set up as a hard and fast rule so really none is needed.

I of course may be corrected if these are incorrect statements. :D

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

127.0.0.1 is called LocalHost - it is your computer. Everyone's computer is 127.0.0.1 for differing purposes.

192.168.x.x is a special network segment reserved for LAN use. It is I believe non routeable, meaning it cannot be routed across networks like the internet. Most every router for home's use the 192.168.x.x network segment.

You can use some tools from the OS to find out. One easy way is to use the ping tool. You can ping the ip address and the return should tell you the machine name. Or you can ping the machine name, and it will return the ip address. Unless firewalls or such block this.

You can also download network scanners, such as SoftPerfect Network Scanner or Angry IP Scanner. These will show you ip addresses and machine names in your local subnet, again unless firewalls and such block them.

Sul.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@pandlouk

Have you ever seen a home router use any but 192.? I have not. I have seen a few older ones that use 10. though, but they were more enterprise type ones.

Have you ever seen the ip address assigned by dhcp when there is no dhcp server? It has been awhile since I messed with a dhcp machine with no server, but I seem to recall an ip address assinged (a default one I assume) that was 139.x.x.x or something sort of oddball.

Sul.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, some brands (e.g. Thomson) still use 10.x.x.x on some of their models. But most models have 192.168x.x as their default.
    Only, once I saw a router (not remember the brand) that used 172.16.x.x.
    Do you mean 169.254.x.x?
    169.254.0.0/16 is reserved for Link Local adresses (APIPA = Automatic Private IP Adressing) and are assigned to NICs when the DCHP server is down.
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3330
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

Panagiotis

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I`m thinking :doubt: some cable modems still use the 169. 254.xxx.xxx scheme by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.