Teen Pleads Guilty in Web Worm Attack

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

SEATTLE (AP) - A Minnesota high school senior pleaded guilty Wednesday in federal court to unleashing a variant of the "Blaster" Internet worm, which crippled more than a million computers last summer.

Jeffrey Lee Parson, 19, of Hopkins, Minn., is likely to face 18 months to three years behind bars after pleading guilty to one count of intentionally causing or attempting to cause damage to a protected computer. He also could be ordered to pay millions of dollars in restitution, Assistant U.S. Attorney Annette Hayes said.

Parson had pleaded not guilty after his arrest last August, but told U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman on Wednesday, "I downloaded the original Blaster worm, modified it and sent it back out on the Internet."

Story

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

So this moron confesses AND THEN pleads not guilty?
    I am just glad the idiot is over 18 so he can be tried like an adult.
    Anybody got a rope? (kidding.......maybe) :D

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm... guess his position in life from now on will be: "Would you like fries with that".... silly bugger, loses all hope now of ever being 'normal'...

I always felt they should be hung drawn and quartered, but geeze, when I look back on my teenage years, I did some pretty silly things, oh not illegal in the true sense, but enough to make parents worry.

The trouble is these kids have soooooooooo much time/money/access to many many things and think they are immune to life's accountability judge, and that's a shame really, as many do have true potential/opportunity like never before.

Slapping him with million dollar restitutions would be senseless. Hell, look at what some big corporations get away with. But, that's another story.

I honestly think his time would be better served [if found guilty ;) ] doing community service, like for 2-5 years, helping out aged, handicapped each weekend/all weekend. Curtail his social activities, let him think.

That way he can probably appreciate much better how lucky off he is and save the cost to taxpayers of keeping his arse in jail. Of course, if he skipped that, or did not truly try, then slap him behind bars for remainder of sentence.

So true!!!
    [/ends rant]
    TAS

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This guy deserves to be put behind bars.

5. antispy

antispy Registered Member

I honestly think we should start making examples of people. Longer sentences for crimes like this. I mean this is just my opinion.

6. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Well.. he's just a modifyer not a original composer. Cops are still hunting for the original composer...

Intresting ! Do you know about Mr. Norton ?

7. antispy

antispy Registered Member

How many of thee guys do they find anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.