Tech Secrets: 21 Things 'They' Don’t Want You to Know

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Very interesting read, thankyou.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Saving data to encrypted drives does absolutely nothing for exploits or becoming infected.

There is also this quote in response to NSA wiretapping:

That's not true. You can use encryption for e-mail and IM convos and VPN's or Tor for web browsing.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only issues with those options though Chrono, is that I'm starting to wonder if encrypting e-mail and IM conversations, and using VPN's actually makes you a bigger target. You and I as citizens think differently than most government officials and agencies. In the U.S, it wouldn't shock me that these sorts of services brought more suspicion and, therefore more surveillance. As far as Tor goes, I was under the impression that it was so full of holes and flawed to the point that you might as well "surf naked". Isn't that the general consensus or no?

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

That is valid argument that has been made before. It's not totally without merit, which is why we need more people to start using PGP/GPG. However, I don't think merely using encryption will necessarily paint a target on your back (especially if you're not of Mid East persuasion. heh).

Tor's anonymity is very strong. What is lacking is privacy at the exit node (because it is impossible for Tor to encrypt the whole Internet. It is beyond its control). Therefore, surfing will be safe, it is when you enter info that can be troublesome.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm beginning to worry more about the people in my own country than I am a Mid Eastern being a terrorist. But that's another story for another time. I get your point though, maybe we aren't at that level of Orwellian society just yet and can use VPNs and such in safety. In regards to Tor, you're basically saying use it to surf, but all bets are off if you do, let's say, shopping, banking and that sort of thing. Correct?

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

There are a growing number of people using VPN's. And lots of them are for downloading music and movies. Other use them for businesses. And it is also known that a growing number of good, decent, law abiding citizens care about their privacy and have had enough of all of the invasions. Maybe it attracts attention, but maybe not near as much as you might think. But as a citizen of a free country, I will be choosing to exercise my right to privacy.

My favorite XB Steve quote: "The only rights that you have are those which you can forcefully exercise". Think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.