Tech-Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NAMOR, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anyone ever try it?

From their site

http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/techprotect.html

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yup, it's not bad :) I don't know that I'd want it as my sole AV, but it's really nice to have as a backup. If you want to make it more NTFS compatible, you can download the trial of the full version F-Prot, install just the on demand, grab fpcmd.exe, and copy/move it to the F-Prot for DOS directory.. of course you should probably stop using it that way after the 30 day trial is up :D

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

after my reinstall i decided to try it as a back up for my f-secure 6 month trail, i didn't install it before because i was using F-Prot as my on-access. can tech-protect run as resident? the reason i ask is wouldn't that make it the best free AV? the one i have uses the last engine, is it 14?b i would check but it seems to be hanging for the first time. up until now it was fine, on SP2 - opening for an on-demand scan and right-clicking and scanning too. maybe it is best to try it out as a backup then after all.

i know i don't spend that much time in this part of the forum, but i am surprised i haven't ever read anyone talking about F-Secure 6 month trail. my PC is just as smooth as it was with F-Prot and it comes with the PRO version of Adaware. admittedly there are lots of running processes, but like i said there's no lag.

4. Buzkashi player

Buzkashi player Registered Member

I remember it catching the eicar test file, so it seems to have resident protection.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

From the Tech-Protect website:

I think that explains it :)

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

it bogs down too many PCs, and it ain't available anymore methinks.

7. no13

UPDATE ::: Tech Protect is missing
    go figure!
    Frisk Software must have gone crazy over Tech-pro, yeah?

8. no13

Okay...
    3 points.
    1. ntvdm.exe (which i think is NT virtual DOS machine) runs EVERY time a file is accessed if Tech protect is running as background scanner. The it has the audacity to exit after the file is scanned, knowing fully well it's going to be called again.
    I had obtained a copy of Turbo C++ 3 from the borland museum. If I rev that up, NTVDM goes IMMEDIATELY to 100% and stays there till TC.exe is in memory
    2. It has very patchy support for NTFS styled long Names [8.3 format supported only - DOS scanner. F-Prot recommends a command line scanner from the paid version to use on NTFS in command line mode]
    3. Every time you double click the scanner's tray icon, it does a slow and long memory check.

finally, I can't comment on the legal issue here. No notes by the developer. Just removed all pages from his websites [both the .net and .co.uk domains]

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm....I guess its under an update or something, or F-Prot had an issue with Tech-Protect :doubt:

But what I do know is that the Tech-Pro pages have been removed, and the author now recommends to use F-Prot instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.