Tearing my hair out over ATI 10 Home install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jeff_H, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Registered Member

Guys, here's the scenario. I recently bought two retail copies of ATI 10 Home from Newegg. I installed one on my main machine, which previously had ATI 8 on it (AMD Athlon 64 4000+, EPoX 9NPA+Ultra board (nVidia nForce 4 Ultra chipset), 2GB PC3200, nVidia 6600GT 128MB PCIex video card, DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW drives, Samsung 160GB SATA HD). It ran its first backup fine, and verifyed out fine. Both systems are running Windows XP Pro SP2, fully patched. AVG Free AV and ZoneAlarm firewall.

Second copy was installed on a Pentium 4 2.8B, EPoX 4PDA2+ (Intel i865PE chipset), 1.25GB PC2700, nVidia 6200 256MB AGP video card, DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW drivers, Seagate 120GB PATA HD (connected to a High Point 372 controller). Install went fine, including creation of Rescue CD. I attempted to do a system backup to a Seagate 40GB PATA drive on a Koutech bare IDE to USB adapter. If you're wondering if the High Point controller is the issue, I don't think so, as three buddies are running the same controller, w ATI 9, and not experiencing any issues.

I got about 35% through the backup when it hung up. I had to shut down ATI and do a reboot, which in itself was flakey (didn't want to shut down). I attempted a couple more tries at a backup, and each hung somewhere between 35 and 55%.

I uninstalled ATI10, did a reinstall, and tried the USB hard drive setup, connected to the backplane motherboard USB ports, instead of the case front panel USB connection. Same result - a hang between 35 and 55%. Another attempt was made to do a backup, this time hooking the 40GB up to the Primary IDE connector. Same result - a hang.

EDIT: FYI I went into the log, and the most common error code is - 503 (0x101F7). I hope that means something to the Acronis tech folks. There was also a reference in one of the log entries to a lowering of the priority.

EDIT #2: This morning (2-1-2007) I did a backup on my main machine (referenced above, having no issues w/ ATI 10 Home). I used the Koutech IDE-to-USB device, on a front-mounted USB case port. I was able to successfully do a backup, w/ verify. So, is my other copy of ATI bad, or is it a conflict w/ the motherboard chipset? Or, is there some other reason one works, and the other doesn't?

So, why am I getting one install to work fine, and the other install to consistently hang? Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or work-arounds?

TIA,

Jeff

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Make the bootable Rescue cd, boot with it and try the backup from it. If it works, something is running in the background that interferes with TI when you run it from within windows.

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

I had this problem once with a Fujitsu machine running the first DualCore Processors...it worked out that it was a problem with the USB-Controller of the mainboard. Backup to an another partition worked fine. Even the transfer of the tib-file to the usb-drive wasn't possible.

Solution: PCI USB 2.0 Card....no way around....

Volker

4. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Registered Member

Ralphie, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you (and the forum) how it turns out. Knowing what's on my two systems, I would expect that conflicts from something running w/i Windows would manifest itself on my main machine, as there's much more "going on" in that system than my system that's giving me problems. That system is a very new install, with little in the way of apps or background processes.

VolkerNadolski, thanks for the insight. What, in my mind discounts your experience re USB on this system, is the fact that ealier versions of ATI are running on friends' systems, and they have the exact same motherboard as the one in my system that's tripping up on ATI 10 Home. Go figure <g>.

Jeff

5. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Registered Member

UPDATE: I followed Ralphie's suggestion and attempted a backup via booting w/ the Rescue CD. First attempt was unsuccessful, using the front panel USB case port. Second attempt, connecting the USB drive to the motherboard back panel USB resulted in a successful backup, and verify.

Ralphie, thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it.

Jeff

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Maybe the front usb ports were the problem in the first place. There are a few other reports in the forum about that, but yet some front ports work ... go figger.:) :)

7. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Registered Member

Ralphie, not hard to place the blame on the front USB ports. Again, thanks for the tip on running ATI from the Rescue CD.

Jeff

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jeff_H,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue;
    - Collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Collect the logs of failed operations:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. Jeff_H

Jeff_H Registered Member

Marat, thanks for the response. I've downloaded both the program update and drivers. I'll do the installs, run the logs and let you know what unfolds.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.