TDS3 shuts down after scanning C and D

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by SecurityTech, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecurityTech

SecurityTech Registered Member

I run XP Pro with 2 physical and 6 logical drives. Every time I run a full system scan with TDS3 it scans drives C and D then shuts down. There are no errors showing and no trojans or otherwise found. The scan just stops then TDS3 closes. The same happens in Safe Mode. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi SecurityTechn, welcome to the forum.
    No suggestions here, yet.
    Are there any error messages?
    Is this the first time this happens and was it ok before or is this the first time you're trying TDS on your system?
    Evaluation or registered version?

Did you update XP Pro with all security patches and service packs and whatever there is?

Do i understand right you have 6 partitions C - H?
    And in the TDS3 > Edit > Scans > Fullsystemscan.txt does it look like this:
    System Files CRC32
    Live Process Files
    Live Process Memory Space
    Memory Objects
    Memory Mutexes
    Registry & File Traces
    Services & Drivers (NT\2K)
    Scan All Logical Drives

?
    or did you write it differently asking for all hard drives
    for instance in stead of the logical drives (which can be partitions)

Then still i don't see TDS closing down after scanning. Is it closing or reloading?
    And is this only with the full system scan or also with other scans?

3. SecurityTech

Thanks for replying.

yes,yes and yes.

All updates are done. Having gone through my log files it scanned everything on initial install when I ran the full scan. This pc was given a fresh XP install on Sept 16 and TDS3 worked fine then... As I don't do full sytem scans on a regular basis it's hard to tell when it stopped. At this point I will assume it ran the full scan on the first full scan and it hasn't since.

Yes, my fullsystemscan.txt reads as below, showing "scan all logical drives"

there are no error messages. It just shuts down and doesn't restart on it's own. This is a registered version.

The only other scans I have run to this point are specific scans on certain folders. These scans worked fine.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It sounds weird; maybe a file is damaged with installing other software or a possible crash or windows update, in which case either a system restore --hard to say if you don't remember when this problem started-- or uninstalling TDS completely (keep all personal data files and scripts and keyfile, the radius to spare a d/l, somewhere safe before doing that) and get the latest TDS from the site, install again, put your files back and have another try.
    Hope this helps!

5. SecurityTech

Thanks for the help. Actually, as I think about it, I was having the same problems on my other pc that had XP. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

I just did have another thought though. I have disabled several of the default services, such as the server service, as recommended on blackviper.com. I did the same on my other pc. Is it possible that TDS3 requires one of these services to run a full scan. Off the top this doesn't make sense but it seems to be another variable to eliminate. Are you aware of any services TDS3 needs for a full scan?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello & welcome SecurityTech, It may be worth re-enabling those services one at a time.
    Also the thread "A guide to what works with TDS" above may hel p throw some light.

HYH Pilli

7. SecurityTech

Thanks for your help wiith this. So far I still haven't found the answer.
    - I checked out the string on what works with TDS3 and didn't find any help.
    - I enabled all the services which I had disabled, one at a time... nothing made a difference.
    - I uninstalled/reinstalled TDS3 and the initial scan shut down after drive D again
    - my logical drives are c, d, e, g, h ... for kicks I tried editing the Fullsystemscan.txt file.... instead of reading "Scan All Logical Drives" I listed all the drives (Scan In C:\ , Scan In d:\ , etc)... didn't work
    - I removed the c and d and tried scanning e, g, h... TDS3 shut down after scanning e
    - I removed e and it scanned g and h just fine
    - I added c after g and h and it scanned all three fine
    - I added d after c to the new scriipt and it scanned g, h, c, d then shutdown again

thiis current script reads:

Scan In G:\
    Scan In H:\
    Scan In C:\
    Scan In D:\

That's were I stand.... at least I can get it to scan g, h, and c... but it should be able to do the whole thing.

any other suggestions?

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Does E:\ have incomplete multi volume RAR archives on it by any chance ? This is the only known crash I have seen from memory, where the unrar.dll doesn't handle an incomplete file as expected

If you then had error reporting turned off, with no notification of errors, you wouldn't see TDS-3.EXE faulting in unrar.dll o_O

9. SecurityTech

Gavin, thank you

As it turns out both D and E had a Norton protected bin (NProtect) within the Recycler bin on both of these drives. These logical drives are both on the physical drive which came off my old computer. I don't use Norton on this pc. Within this NProtect folder there were some incomplete rar volumes. I have removed all these and all works fine.

Thank you very much to all who helped me troubleshoot this.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for telling us and another applause for Gavin thinking of this option!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.