TDS3 crashing when performing a "Full System Scan"

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by I_lack_commonsense, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_lack_commonsense

I_lack_commonsense Registered Member

When I try performing a Full System Scan with TDS3 it always seems to crash when scanning partition D. (That is after it has already scanned parition C). This has happened when I was previously using Win2000 SP3 and now on WinXP Pro SP1. I dont have a problem performing "normal scans", and the config file for the "full system scan" is the default. When I clicked on event viewer and the properties of the "application popup" error, it asked if i wanted to send some information to microsoft, and the file name in question was ntdll.dll (dont know if that has to do with anything). Enclosed is a screenshot of the popup error i received.

TDS-3.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x017074a1" referenced memory at "0x0322f4b4". The memory could not be "read".

Thanks again in advance.

P.S. Was trying to email support but it wouldn't let me send an email through priority support (even though im licensed) or even regular support. Kept getting a 405 error even though I had no attachments.

Attached Files:

• tds3.jpg
      tds3.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

What happens when you press cancel to debug the program?
    And if you exclude that specific file from scanning, can you complete the full system scan then?
    And when scanning that file in another way, individual, do you get any alerts or more errors on that one?
    It's worth deeper investigation of course.
    Info to MS for an application which is not theirso_O Hmm, strange. IE ok, but that is theirs, but TDS, is a DCS matter although...........

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi ILCS,
    I'm sure DCS will answer the error problem but I thought I would comment on the priority support to DCS error as I have had the same response as you today. Tried again just now & got the same error again - 405 "Method not Allowed"

Pilli

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

They're working on the website, so maybe that page is not yet in it's proper place.
    Please try a normal email to support@diamondcs.com.au with this thread and/or more comments included, and of course you can make it an urgent message, might like to put in the subject it's "priority support to licensed TDS operator" if that would help.
    Keep us updated please.

5. I_lack_commonsense

Never thought of it being a specific file that was causing the problem... but it obviously was :D .

I scanned the D drive and was able to find the file where TDS would crash at. I scanned the file with KAV and it seemed alright so i moved it to the C drive and scanned the D drive again. No problems. Scanned the file specifically with TDS and it would crash. Many thanks jooske! :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Aha!! If the file is small, would send it to DCS support with this story as this sounds interesting.
    So the location of the file doesn't matter, it's the file itself.
    For the time being leave it in it's place and in the scan options put it on the exclusions list. Is the file original and not modified as far as you can see from the file properties?

Thank you for the whole internet community if this is something special! :)

7. I_lack_commonsense

Its about 2mb (is that too big to send?), and is an archive file with an exe inside.
    The location of the file doesnt seem to matter, and it hasn't been modified since it was created. I dont think it is anything malicious, but I dont remember where I got it from either.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That's a biggy. Best send support@diamondcs.com.au an urgent email about it and offer them to send it in, telling this story.
    When i find unknown archives i often rightclick on them, if possible the choice "extract to", so i see it showing up with all the files, but on the next i choose "cancel" as i don't really want to unpack it but i can observe the files and search for a possible "readme" or other info to find out what it is. After just close the thing.
    So this can be a download and maybe you never installed it? Because TDS crashes on it and should not, think they have to know about it and find out the reasons.
    Like to know the answers they tell you!

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, lots to do :)

This might just be a problem with the newer RAR format, or a problem with decompression of incomplete archives. If the file doesn't extract completely (try the right click) then that is why.

You can send it in, no problems. Please zip and manually email it to submit@diamondcs.com.au and I will get back to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.