TDS starting by itself

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Cobalt, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobalt

Cobalt Guest

Hi, a couple of times, when I've clicked on a file (last time it was a .RAM audio file) to attempt to run the file, TDS suddenly loaded and scanned the file. TDS was not running in the background at the time - how/why does it do that?
    Thanks.

2. ljc1174

ljc1174 Registered Member

I wondered the same thing, but it only did this to me when I d/l a program... instead of double clicking the file or whatnot, right click and choose the option you want.

Someone else may have a better explination for this though, I only found a fix that works for me, this may not work for you though.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You might have configured to scan with TDS after downloading or added it to the rightclick menu options?
    I have every download scanned before running it.

4. ljc1174

Then that must be what my setting is at...

I think my icon fits me now! LOL :rolleyes:

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It's a nice avatar, and fortunately we don't know the word stupid :)
    How's the system doing now? And how do you like TDS in the meantime? Do you realize how much you learned on stage these last couple of weeks? If you updated that daily and scanned your system, i think you had no more alarms?

6. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi

If you right click on a file or download you will see that sometimes TDS is the first option, if it is That will activate TDS and scan the file. You don't have to have it set in TDS to do this. The first option on the right click is the one that is chosen.

Most times the first option is "open".

I had that happen with real files so I just right click and choose what option I want to perform.

Regards

7. ljc1174

Hiya Jooske!

Well, stuppy more fits me, but.. this one will do!

Actually that damn d'lalot is still comin' in.

And again, Whois showed up w/yahoo. Soooo my assumption is somehow it's probably attached to a yahoo file, ZoneAlarm goes off with d/lalot when yahoo messenger opens, but if d/l alot just opens in IE by itself w/o messenger being on or running, nothing appears on ZoneAlarm.

I love TDS, I like the little messages it gives me, makes me feel "special" LOL :D.

But, Blaze suggested that I d'l Internet Sweeper. But I have to first buy some floppies and back up all my important stuff. Which is something I need to do anyhow. I've just been putting it off.

I'm still trying to soak in all that I've done/learned.
    But I would like to keep learning more, therefore, I am staying in this forum and I'm trying to read most of the threads. I'd like to get into the IT department where I work.
    But besides learning from here, I need to refresh my memory on html editing and all that good stuff!

OH, I was meaning to ask on another thread but I was busy and not quiet ready to post anything, anyway, someone used the startup list program and I think Mike Healen (sp) replied saying that two looked like possible nasties, is there a list somewhere in cyber space to help identify what all the abreveations are in the startup list?

sorry to go off topic, if you or anyone else w/that answer would like you can reply in pm.

Thanx!
    Lori

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Lori,

About this:
    "but if d/l alot just opens in IE by itself w/o messenger being on or running, nothing appears on ZoneAlarm."

You added www.downloadalot.com to your hosts file (if I remember me well), so it cannot make any connection to it anymore.

9. ljc1174

Yaknow, the odd thing is, today when it loaded I decided to check and it wasn't in my hosts file, so I added it again and I also had to add it back to the restricted sites and block cookies again.

Everytime it loads I have to go back and re-add it to everything. I also to the regedit thingy and look in there and delete them from that as well.

Hopefully after I buy some floppies Internet Sweeper will wipe them out.

If not then my last resort will be to write out my hard drive.
    Then read twice and then read twice again at everything my restoration cd's install.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I started wondering if the d/lalot somehow got mixed with the yahoo messenger, happens sometimes and the only way would be (if so) to uninstall the yahoo messenger also and see if it's gone then. Maybe you can first copy/backup your contactlist before you do. After of course re-install yahoo messenger and look careful in your contactlist if there could be some additions you don't know and which could be part of the drama (you can first look before uninstalling of course).
    I remember you had several infections time ago, so maybe somebody added such an entry (invisible?) to your contactlist(s), monitoring you once logging in on internet, and that contact could be that web site some how.
    If you go through the uninstall, look what happens when you re-instal; would be best if you add the contacts fresh manually, so hidden entries are not there.....
    If it then comes back it's elsewhere.
    Did you also check your cookies?
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/
    You might like here Karen's CookieViewer

Do you see strange connections in TDS netstat?

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Lori,

Oops oops, that doesn't sound good that your hosts file is getting modified, and your settings of the restricted zone.

Post about it at Privacy Problems forum section !

In the meanwhile:
    Have a look in which directory your hosts file is placed.
    I assume it is here:
    C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

You are running TDS-3 (trial version or did you buy it in the meanwhile?).

Add your hosts file with its full path to your file crcfiles.txt in TDS-3; again its path should be:
    C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

How to do that:
    When TDS-3 is opened:
    TDS > Edit Config Text Files > crcfiles.txt
    Then that file will be opened in Notepad.
    Just add that full path of your hosts file, then hit save.

Now every time you start TDS-3 or when you do a full system scan with it, TDS-3 will check whether your hosts is changed: it will give you an alert about it when it is changed.
    Did you make your configuration of TDS-3 like I described?

I also would advice to use FileChecker from Javacool (see the special forum section for it), and add there too your hosts file with its full path. Go to that forum section in case you need help for it.

The difference between the crc32-checking of TDS-3 and the checking by FileChecker is that FileChecker warns you about a change more or less in real-time, something that the CRC32-feature in TDS-3 only does on-demand.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Once your system is set with all settings and disabled things, do you make a new system restore point? Might work. Internet Sweeper is a fine cleaner, no longer free.
    It sounds as if your registry is locked/blocked somehow from writing and storing there; did you use RegProt or the kind? Maybe you have to disable that temporary till all is as wished and enable it again afterwards so it can make a new registry image.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt Guest

Thanks for the replies to my query - yes TDS is first in line in the menu - I'll right click in future. Cheers.

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post about this. We have created a tiny registry patch to remove that right click scan option altogether, in case this behaviour is unacceptable. You will still be able to use TDS in every other way, and right clicking on folders and drives will still enable right click scanning.

The patch is available here :

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/tdsregpatch.exe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.