TDS newbie

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by enigma, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dithean

Dithean Registered Member

Hi again. Thank you for the welcome :)

I set up and configured TDS 3, then did a full scan ~ and my system was clean. Very reassuring.
    I read about all the facilities, and tried some of them ~ also clean :)

I like the packaging together of so many relevant functions ~ so I recommended TDS 3 my boyfriend. Unfortunately, since he runs Japanese Windows he will have to wait a while longer to try this great software.
    I'll keep exploring though. Keep up the good work.
    Looking forward to future developments.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Aha! So you are the good Scottish girlfriend who recommended the bloody good software suite! And right you are, it is way cool or hot, whatever you call it.
    Keep it updated and play with it, make sure your system is everything ready, (i mean scripting, speech and msagent all enabled and well installed) so you can enhance the TDS experience till great heights, and even more for the registered users who have even more protection, functions and can run unlimited big scripts.
    We could forget TDS is in the first place a security tool with all those additional possibilities :cool:
    that happens when it's sky high top notch security tool with possibilities only limited by our imagination and scripting possibilities but it keeps us awake (certainly if you let tje jukebox script plahy all your favorites) and we like to determine every bit of file TDS now all of a sudden enables us to do and lots more.

See for your Japanese friend in his "error #R31" thread here which options he can try.

3. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi Jooske,
    Trip took longer than i thought. :( Ill be back on line tomorrow night with some questions for you. :) I cant do the e-mail from office you suggested. Dont allow staff to conduct personel bus. from office. So i shouldnt either. Have a good day and ill post tomorrow night.

enigma

4. La Vega

La Vega Registered Member

Author Topic: Where in the Worldo_O? (Read 3764 times)

El Cid

Re:Where in the Worldo_O?
    « Reply #120 on: October 08, 2003, 04:15:10 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Worms...Bugs...Trojan Horses ----- I hate those guys!!Insidious people who work these nasties up --- I hate those guys even more! I feel fortunate to have wandered onto this site. I'm new to these issues, so I'd like to hang about and learn what I can. I appreciate your terrific work and outstanding citizenship !!
    -------From Denver, Colorado.

---------------

Hello Jooske
    I am very impressed with the forum. Particularly with the assistance that you provide. I just downloaded TDS-3 trial version. I'm totally in the dark about these matters, but, as you, I will endeavor to master this subject and hopefully one day be able to contribute. After all of your advice on the TDS configuration, I am still unable to get the speech and e-mail functions to operate. These are not major problems as I will continue to do research. I am inclined to register before the 30 limit is passed - and maybe that would take care of these small items. Questions - I downloaded the speech files into my system - I also copied them into the TDS directory after the download - with no success ?? I also could use some very specific SMTP language clues on the email issue - the folks at DCS are not able to provide any clues - your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello El Cid and welcome!
    For the speech part this thread gives lots of info:
    here .
    SMTP languages, i don't understand what you mean here?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello El Cid,
    In TDS open Configuration, servers, put your normal email address in the "Your email address" In the box above "SMTP server" type smtp.yourisp.com
    i.e. whatever your ISP's smtp mail server is usually called

Press the test button and you should receive and email back from DCS.

HTH. Pilli

7. La Vega

Hello Pilli
    Hello Jooske
    Thanks alot for being there, and for responding.
    Pilli, that SMTP item is a bit of trouble for me. I followed the instructions in the configuration text - which mirrors your response, and I have tried everything I know, (also spent lots of time trying) to enter the correct configuration, to no avail - yet! DCS is not familiar with my SMTP and suspects that it may be "encrypted and require authentication". I am probably doing something dramatically stupid - I have tried all of the SMTP variations of the string that works for my regular mail: "http://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata" (without the parens). Including inserting SMTP at the front. I'll keep drilling this well for awhile - and thank you again for responding.

Jooske, I believe I now have enough information on the thread that you suggested. After reading the entries, there is some new information that was not available in prior threads. As well, after I fired up TDS this morning, It TALKED to me (although it manufactured a terrific new version of my last name !!). So, I am half way there, will now work on the type-to-speech and Genie issues.
    For your info, following your previous thread, in attempting to get TDS to speak to me, I downloaded the MS files:
    actcnc 6181kb
    tv_enva 991kb
    genie 1590kb,
    and the DCS file: spchapi 825kb
    directly into my TDS directory (on WINDOWS XP).
    (Nothing was adjusted in XP's Speech, Sound and Audio control panels.)
    I guess it must have been late, and I didn't test the system properly. All it needed was a re-start!
    Be well, and thanks again,
    Steve

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As it now speaks, i suppose you actually did install them too which is always going default.
    The msagent characters go in the c:\windows\msagent\chars (whatever your windows dir is called). If you have your windows in another place and it would not work with the agents on msagent sites you might visit on line, it could be an idea to create that place just for the agents; small tip!
    On that msagent d/l page is also a file for the speech control panel, that will be the one which will show up in the control panel area to manipulate the speech engines like closing temporary the SAPI5 which you probably were able to as you could hear TDS speak to you.

In the Configuration you can have your name like you want to be greeted, so even El Cid is possible.
    Thanks to that TDS pronounciation the whole internet makes my name Jooskiiiiiii -- so be it, one learns to live with it :)
    Time to use the scripts\usersubmitted\jooske\innerpeace.ss3 to try your Genie (and apetite)

For that email i'm not all sure. Don't you have any ISP whose smtp server you can use smtp.isp.com or mail.isp.com and your hotmail account as you want it?

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Re SMTP, I think this may be a hot mail - ISP problem, so may I suggest that you use you check the hotmail FAQ's or ask yur ISP if there is a way round it.
    Others may respond that have had this problem.
    Sorry I cannot give youa definitive answer :(

10. La Vega

Hello Pilli, Jooske and others
    fyi
    RE the SMTP configuration issue. My ISP - MSN.com, (there may be others) uses a web (incoming only!) based email system (HTTP). The TDS configuration is actually looking for a POP3 system - though it does not specify this, and therefore my difficulties. The solutions are:
    1. Having MSN "approve" a conversion "back" to a POP3 setup which they are inclined not to do - but will if I think this is absolutely necessary. I chose not to - as there are alternatives to getting info back to TDS, (plus the process is mostly creepy, and I would then not be able to access my mail from other locations as easily.).
    2. MSN will be coming out with a new browser version in November that will support a POP3 product from another vendor as an add-in, (vs. a conversion). I'll probably do that.
    3. Dump MSN and etc. etc.

Thought this might clarify for others this little SMTP hangnail, as, I understand, there are millions of MSN and other HTTP email type ISP users - and therefore, potential TDS customers.

Thank you again for your great help - now I will continue to try and get the "type-to-speech" function working. Downloaded what I think is everything, but am probably not configuring, (or something) correctly.
    Cheers!
    Steve

11. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

TDS wants you to specify your outgoing(SMTP) server address, not your incoming (POP or web) address
    Dolf

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I have a hotmail account as well and i guess it will be the same with MSN
    From my OE account i sent myself an email both by replying on something and changing the reply address to my own and a new message to myself, in both cases using the hotmail account as a sender.
    I see in the full header to another account of me this line
    Received: from hotmail.com (sea2-dav73.sea2.hotmail.com
    and this
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC
    so maybe you can test something equal with your account and see if you can do anything with that.
    You could also use any normal account and use a forwarding to your hotmail if you really want it there: outlook express can do that for you with the message rules.
    Just practise a bit with those if you use outlook express or another client with message rules.

13. La Vega

Thank you Dollefie and Jooske for your thoughts.
    Your both correct.
    Just want to tidy up a couple of points.

TDS wants you to specify your outgoing(SMTP) server address, not your incoming (POP or web) address
    Dolf

Dolf, My first task upon opening the TDS-3 box was configuration. After doing so, unbeknown to me, my current ISP (MSN) universal (default) setup, does not permit an outgoing server - like a POP3 apparently does. Therefore the rummage for a: Howcome?
    So, no faults to TDS here!

...so maybe you can test something equal with your account and see if you can do anything with that.

Jooske,
    Yes, I am indeed able to configure around the problem, as you have suggested. Yet, I was perplexed as to why I would be unable to have the "sleekest" solution - but, if it works, what the hey!

You have been most helpful. Thank you!
    Cheers

14. DolfTraanberg

TDS wants to be able to send mail. The main usage for this is when you write a ss3 script where you want f.i. to be notified of certain events by e-mail. (I don't know of any other usage)
    That's why TDS needs to know which smtp server to use.
    So, if you use the same smtp server setting as you have in you e-mail client, it should be working.
    Dolf

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It also alerts you for illegal intrusions (see sockets configuration top right) and you need a smtp server for the plugin with that name.
    Not sure if you also use Outlook Express, which is what i do, and receive your emails inthere. I too have a hotmail account which should work exactly the same like MSN, so i configured it to receive the stuff in OE and so i can from OE also send emails, just using the full http: like you described, but without smtp. in front of it.
    But copying the same line in the smtp plugin gives an "authoritive error" for which must be solutions too somewhere.

16. La Vega

Hello Dolf and Jooske,
    Thanks again for your comments. Very much appreciated.

TDS wants to be able to send mail. The main usage for this is when you write a ss3 script where you want f.i. to be notified of certain events by e-mail. (I don't know of any other usage)
    That's why TDS needs to know which smtp server to use.

Dolf - thought you might be interested in this comment from the help section of the configuration routine:
    E-mail Setup:
    "When TDS-3 detects a trojan, users can right select the file and be able to submit the file to us. TDS-3 does this by actually sending its own 'E-mail' to submit@diamondcs.com.au
    This is done so that we can contact you about our findings of the file. So by entering your e-mail address and the e-mail server that you use to send e-mail with, TDS-3 will be able to submit the file through the e-mail server, and also using the e-mail address to place in the 'From' field."

I appreciate the additional comments related to the ss3 and sockets, (Jooske !) applications.
    Cheers

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Now the only important thing is for you to get the smtp server working so you can actually submit the samples too!

18. La Vega

Yes,
    and your much appreciated!

19. DolfTraanberg

Thanks, I missed that one :)
    Dolf

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Keep us informed if and when and how you solved it, as it will help hundreds of other hotmail / msn users too!

Somebody else in a network where the smtp needed username/password authentification did this with success:
    > I now have found a workaround. I just set up a lokal smtp server without authentication only for administration.<
    With that all TDS emails were sent out without any problem. Now it is: how to do this? Maybe you know?

I told you i receive hotmail via the OE client and can send emails too from the client, without visiting the site.
    Of course i tried with pasting the URL from the server in my smtp plugin, but no luck, same authentification problem. So the workaround if you figure out how to do so could be something.

21. La Vega

Yes,
    I will keep you posted. I'll be gone through November and part of December, so no sleuthing possible till then.

DCS now does confirm that it only supports a POP3 Server. Remember, this is related only to the "configuration-servers tab-email setup-smtp server entry" - not necessarily to other/regular emailing possibilities between oneself and TDS. Therefore, as I posted earlier, when MSN unveils it's latest version, (November) it will, alledgedly, have the capability to run both HTTP hotmail, AND a 3rd party POP3 mail program. I'm going to try this track - which means, going out and finding a stable, and preferably lowcost/freeware POP3 email program to load up alongside MSN's hotmail program, (product suggestions, anyone?).
    Cheers

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I load it all in my outlook express, my ISP has pop3 included in the whole service pack, while they also have webmail so i can access my mail all time from everywhere.
    Not sure about other services around except for a few in the Netherlands (free ISPs)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.