TDS and NOD32 working together

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by nonmirecordo, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

I've been using TDS for a couple of years but only recently with resident protection. I relied on 'on-demand' scanning and NOD32 for protection, with no adverse effects. TDS never found anything 'on-demand' and I did keep it it updated religiously. NOD found all the nasties I was exposed to (hopefully).

Now I've got a couple of questions:

Am I correct to assume that there is no conflict between the various components of NOD and TDS (with resident protection)?

How do they actually work together? For example, does IMON get to inspect an email message first, and, if it finds nothing, TDS will then intercept it and scan it?

Many thanks.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi thre and welcome,
    TDS will look for malicious code the moment you try to open a file before it is allowed to execute.
    WormGuard does the same for other file types, blocking suspicious files and telling you why, with the options to look into the file and decide to run it anyway, if it was a wrong decission TDS will still block it for executables.

TDS has no email scanning, so good you leave that part to IMON; but the execution story is still valid.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, nonmirecordo.

I've used both for months without any conflict. :)

4. nonmirecordo

Thanks for the reassurance both.

At the risk of being pedantic, AMON does that too. Do you know which gets in first?

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

AMON (NOD32) is primary an anti-virus, although they cover lots of in-the-wild trojans and worms as well these days, TDS is primary an anti-trojan, covering trojans, worms, keyloggers, diallers, rootkits, trojan adware, trojan spyware and lots more, while WormGuard will cover worms and scripts and whatever you configure yourself in that to block.
    Can only say install both and see which is the first to catch it; it also depends on where the file is, maybe.
    I remember once i intended to open something which looked ok, the mailsafe had it blocked already of course for incoming, and i got several warnings, from mailsafe, wormguard, not exactly sure about the order of the warnings, i got 4 at least, TDS blocking it when i still tried to run it so how about layered protection?
    If i still would have wanted to run it anyway i would have needed to temporary uninstall the exec protection from TDS :)
    If i would have been so stubborn to run it anyway most probably WormGuard would have jumped up another time as a warning.
    OK, if it would have been a server, Port Explorer would have shown me a suspicious process / connection and which application was doing it, enabling me to spy on the datastreams and killing it another time, whatever.......
    The next TDS-4 ActiveGuard will make it all even more fun in all protection!

6. nonmirecordo

Many thanks - I'll look forward to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.