TDS-3 Not Catching Many Spywares

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Dobermann, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dobermann

Dobermann Registered Member

Hello from Las Vegas,

Color me stupid, but I simply do not understand why TDS-3 does not catch a bunch of spyware, a keylogger and a dialer. I have the trial version set to scan everything, including inside zip files. It gives me a clean bill of health.

I then run the trial of eTrust Pest Patrol by Computer Associates, and it reports 19 pests detected and 44 items detected. They include sypware, a keylogger and a dialer. Granted a few of these cannot possibly be real, as they are files/entries created by QuickBooks and Peachtree Software from their demo packages. I seriously doubt those two companies would include malicious code in their demos. But some of the others found seem real enough to me.

I next run Aluria's Spyware Eliminator. It finds oodles of registry entries that it calls SpyWorks. It is still scanning while I type this, but based upon prior scans of today, the only thing it came up with was the multitued of SpyWorks entries.

I thought TDS-3 was supposted to be the best and would catch everything. What is going on here? What's a girl supposed to do -- go out and buy 3 or 4 spyware detection programs just to find them all? I'd sooner reformat and reinstall the OS and save my money.

TIA,
    Dobermann

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I find that I have better results with ewido and CounterSpy (Giant Agent)

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dobermann, TDS3 is not an anti spyware program, however it is the best Anti Trojan program out there.
    If you have the TDS trial version then please update the definitionsmanually from here.http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update Follow the instructions for manual install.
    Disable your AV then In scan control tick all the boxes - Run the scan, this is a very deep scan and will take quite a while.

@Edwin024, And on what basis do you make that claim? Have you done specific Anti Trojan Testing, if so what were the results? Have you tested Ewido and TDS3 against a set of Trojans?
    Claiming that Giant catches more is not very constructive as the purpose of Giant is quite different from that of TDS3 which is not an Anti Spyware program. I am a licensed Giant user BTW.

Regarding Keyloggers no AV, At or AS can detect them without definitions.
    DCS ProcessGuard stops them dead as it protects against .dll injection and with no need for daily updates.

Pilli

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I indeed tested the programs against each other... And from there the conclusion came which I wrote here too. I understand that this is an upset for you as a DCS employee, but still I can't do anything about that.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Edwin024

That is a silly thing to say, Pilli is just Member of the Forum the same as the rest of most of us. and he is also Beta tester some of DCS['s] Product['s] and is a very big helper here at Wilders.

I do not see any reason for you to jump up and down because some one as ask you for results of a test, of which you have not proved in anyway by not posting them, but by being personal instead.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Wrong on the first assumption, I am not an employee of DCS

Saying that you haves tested TDS3 against Ewido and that it has better detection rates against Trojans requires that you show the evidence.
    To maintain credibility to your claims and your own credibility, the users here would need to know the Trojans tested, the methods of the testing and your qualifications to carry out such a test.

To substantiate your claim please publish your results elsewhere in these forums or give a link the site where such results can be viewed.

This thread will now be closed as the original question was answered.

Thank you. Pilli

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll leave the TDS-3 part to those knowledgeable of that product.

I would however like to address the above two in bold.

Pest Patrol....well known for False Positives and unless the entries\scan finds are listed....it would be counter productive in using them as a yard stick when questioning whether program A should...."catch a bunch of spyware, a keylogger and a dialer."

Spyware Eliminator....a program that stopped targeting WhenU(one of the more well-known distributors of adware) in its definitions ? Same as above....counter productive in using a program from a Company(Aluria) that also supports a distributor of adware.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I would like to aks you to send the files TDS missed zipepd to submit@diamondcs.com.au so they can investigate the matter. thanks a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.