TDS-3 How to learn using it??

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by MichaelE, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelE

MichaelE Registered Member

Oh.. this is scary...
    I am new to this. Beeing a retiree not knowing much of what is going on in that gray ugly looking thing under my desk. But I like playing around with it.
    Every day I visit Wilders and read and learn.
    Have downloaded the TDS-3 for testing and find this thing being so high tech stuff so I am not sure I dare keep it here. But where can I learn a litle more to understand how to use it and by this hopefully live a safer life with my companion my PC running XP home, ZoneAlarm latest verson, NOD32 against nasty things out there, TorjanHunter is there too to protect me and Ad-watch - Ad-Aware does it´s job too.

Humble thanks for any suport in this request.

Michael

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

TDS has the most comprehensive help file one can find.
    Every feature fully documented

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Michael.

You have some of the same programs that I do,and I also have XP Home edition.

I "took the plunge" and trialled TDS-3 late last year.
    I decided to register soon after I ran it.

It is intimidating at first.I remember that feeling! ;)
    But with the help files and the support from DiamondCS and the dedicated users I got comfortable with the program.

I learned a lot from using TDS-3 and I'm still learning.

Have you looked at the configuration thread in this forum?
    I found a lot of info there.
    It doesn't hurt to ask questions either.
    The people that use TDS-3 have been both supportive and helpful.

Have fun.

4. MichaelE

Mickey the Man, the Tester.
    Thank you for your info. I will look into the suggested places and hopefully I will learn.

Question: Do I need TH if i register the TDS-3. As far as I understand they do the same job but TDS-3 is capable of doing more.??

Sorry if my spelling and grammar is funny. Have fun on my account..
    It is Sunday morning up here in Sweden.
    Michael

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Michael, welcome! How is your sunday morning there almost on top of this planet?
    Your english is much better then my swedish, and i'm from the netherlands.

There is not any need for TH if you registered TDS.
    TH seems to do several functions in name TDS has too. I've many years ago in history been shopping around, and registered TDS only a few hours after installing and doing a few tests. In the meantime i learned there is a whole different technology behind it and i know to be very secure and in very good and friendly hands.
    In fact the uses of TDS are only limited by our own imagination.
    There is the outstanding fast support by the developpers themselves, so they know what they talk about and can see to building people's wishlists where possible in the new releases, with even priority for registered operators, hardly noticable as they're fast already, this official public forum where you experienced the kind and helpful family of users already, and the private forum for registered operators only, with the same attitude and we're having even more "fun" with our products and we're really close to the fire for all information, education and first to test new products before they're available for the public, and the extended helpmanual shipping with TDS.
    Make sure to read the "16 ways to smell a RAT" which are over 20 ways now btw, included on the website and in the helpmanual. This can demonstrate several of the uses.

It is nice doing business with DCS. What is really attractive is the idea behind it to make the best available for home users too, hence the relative cheap price for a suite which should cost a many-many fold. Registered TDS-3 users are upgraded to TDS-4 (now in the build) for free.
    TDS-3 is already top, people get very white round their nose and just dare to whisper about 4 which will make many people bread- and breathless.

What is usefull to have beside this special trojan defence is a good virus scanner, like NOD32 (specialized in viruses), or for instance KAV as a second opinion. The new TDS-4 series products (three to come, a Pro, a Guard and a resident Scanner -- nothing more known then this yet) and of course your firewall.

That we're not just all time would be heavy and serious you might have noticed by now loading the InnerPeace script and other examples from the script folder, with which you can build your own needs and additions to TDS at your liking.

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Michael,

Some info you can also read in the following threads, but I guess that you have already seen them :)

Basic Configuration:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871

Required System files:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2906

CRC32 test:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7200

What works with TDS-3 and the DCS-family:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6232

7. MichaelE

Jooske, I actually have been to your home country many times during my active working life. Visited Zutphen where my company has an operation. It is a wonderful place...
    Thank you for all your effort to get me into place regarding TDS-3.
    This goes also for FanJ. Have already been to some of the links and learnt some. Will continue.

Jee... I feel so safe having the possibility to scream for help when needed. :D

Michael :D

8. MichaelE

Hi again...
    Does the CRC32 file test do the same job as for example FileChecker ??
    I would not need FC if I use TDR-3 o_O

Michael

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello MichaelIE, Welcome to this forum, If you have not tried it yet the TDS private forum is very worthwhile. The Help, F5 will not work but there is a link posted here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7782

You will beed to register to enter the forum, look forward to seeing you there.

Have fun - Pilli

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

>Jee... I feel so safe having the possibility to scream for help when needed

And you can have TDS scream back at you too.

In the console bottom type
    speak "Scream!"
    and it will say "scream!" back at you, which differs a lot from speak "SCREAM!!!" as you'll hear.
    I use that function as a pronounciation help too at times.
    If you ever registered and grab my cokemachine script, in which i included a "helpfile.exe" if you activate it and call "HELP!" it will open the helpfile for you, all voice controlled. You need to be msagent ready for that part :)
    Yes, TDS makes security so much fun again while protecting us the best way possible.

Thanks for your kind words about our country.
    Imagine, Zutphen is the other side of the country for us, i'm close to the coast. My brother works for a Swedisch company in another part and life seems to be good there :)
    If there ever would be language problems, we just borrow a moderator from the NOD32 forums, which you found probably here already too at Wilders!
    Which reminds me:
    The newest product Port Explorer has several languages included, among which Swedish. At least get the evaluation to see how easy that works (even though lot has been disabled but it gives a very good impression already) and tell us if the translation work has been done well :) (i'm sure it is). Very low in resources and so much info from that port-to-process mapper.
    I run all three TDS-3, PE, WG (WormGuard)

From your questions i understand you want to be secure and want to take care of resources, right?
    The CRC32/FC question is something others better answer.
    In TDS-4 this part will have advanced a lot again.

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Michael,

More or less they do the same, that means: they both check for you whether a file has been changed (and in both you first have to tell them which files to check for).

But there are also differences between them:
    The CRC32 test in TDS-3 is only an on-demand scan. As I described in that thread, you can run the CRC32 test manually, and/or during TDS-3 start-up, and/or during a full system scan by TDS-3.
    FileChecker from Javacool does it a little bit different. It is more or less an on-access check. 'On-access" is in this case not exactly the right word cause it is not really an on-access test, but FileChecker gives you the possibility to set it up in such a way that it tests every x seconds.

There are more differences: FileChecker from Javacool uses stronger HASH-algorithms than the CRC32 algorithm in TDS-3, and FileChecker encrypts its database.

There is not any problem to use both if you like.
    As for your question "I would not need FC if I use TDR-3?":
    that decision is fully up to you; it depends on how much security you want, on your system resources, etc. etc.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

12. MichaelE

Jooske and FanJ
    Thank´s again for all the advice you spend on me.
    Will read and try to figure out what you are giving me. :D

Pilli.
    Your posting I could not follow and am not sure I understood. I tried the link but did not understand where I was supposed to end up o_O

I think you have got a problem here, me !!! :oops:

Michael

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Michael,
    a few remarks:
    TDS-4 will have more advanced techniques in the file check area, while CRC32 is most certainly very valid too, as Wayne explained in one of his posting about this .. have to find back in which thread that was.

Pilli spoke about the DCS private forum which only is accessable for registered TDS operators. People could try the menu option or the F5 button from the console, which formerly brought you in front of the gates to the forum to registere as a user or made you jump in if registered for the private forum too already, but since a few months the forum changed location and thus those options don't bring you to the forum at all but to some completely unrelated site of a new owner, which site even tries to place an unwanted cookie at our system which we like to avoid and not lead TDS users in any confusion!
    Think support will mention the right URL in the TDS registration mail as well to click on.

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Jooske, Sorry I was not clear in my explanation MichaelIE.
    I have found that when you click the link from the other thread you can lse the /forum from the end of the URL and have to add it manually.
    As Jooske says, hopefully, there will be the correct URL to the private forum in your thankyou for registering email from DCS.

Sorry to have caused you confusion - Pilli

15. the Tester

Michael.

I have both Trojan Hunter and TDS-3.
    You will find some different tools in TDS-3

These are some that TDS-3 has and where to find them in the TDS-3 control panel:

ICMP Ping,Trace>Target Host tab.
    "Whois">Utilities tab.
    The Network tab has a load of port scan tools,broadcast tool,connect tools.
    Plugins tab has "interrogate" and quite a few other plugin tools.

While Trojan Hunter has TH Guard,TDS-3(registered) has "exec protect" which if activated will protect against a trojan executing.TDS-3 has to be running for this to be active if I understand this correctly.

I had TH first.
    But after hearing and reading about TDS-3 I could see that it offers some added features that I wanted to be able to use if I ever needed them.

16. MichaelE

the Tester.

for your info. I have sent my registration this afternoon. So I am looking forward to being a "full time runner" of TDS-3.
    Also many thank´s for all information given to me in this matter. I am sure I will have to come back for more advice when I am stuck.. :D

Michael

17. the Tester

Michael.

You registered.
    Cool!

You wouldn't be the only one that has had to ask questions or seek assistance.
    I've done that also. ;)

You will get access to the registered user's forum.
    That forum has been mentioned already.
    It's educational and a lot of fun for me.
    I think you will like it.
    Updating is easier with the registered version too.

Surf safely and Enjoy,
    the Tester.

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Michael,
    congratulations with your best buy for computer security life! Welcome to the TDS family!
    Glad you like it.

We all ask our questions and learn from each other, that's one of the great values of forums.

19. MichaelE

o_O o_O
    Ok I am up and running now. But....
    When I start the TDS-3 it starts it´s job and scans my files etc. This takes quite some time and I wonder. Can one start the thing to choose a single test from the menu without this full scan.

I have doen the basic config. according to the recomendation in this forum.

Maybe this question is irrelevant but I take the chanse :oops:

Michael

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The startup scans you can either check or uncheck at wish: i have them all checked and i know this takes several minutes on my slow system and the scanners i configured as well with everything checked and on highest sensitivity (worm slider all on highest to the right).
    The Process memory scan is one of you might like to start manually after the startup and in fact you can start them all manually if you prefer.
    I start TDS after windows reboot manually for this reason.
    During the Full System Scan i close all i not need in the same time to give it as much space as available to speed up the scanning process and also this takes lot of trime on my system (slow and overloaded) but i hear other times mentioned which are less consuming (just to make a coffee and get back on a scanned system) or more. All depends.
    So don't get confused by the scan taking time!

21. MichaelE

Jooske, thank you for this...

I just wonder.... Are you a 24 hour moderator o_O Whenever I post you are there...Is this your profession??

Sorry this was a bit personal. Don´t answer if this is outside of rules here..

Thank you again
    Michael :)

22. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Michael, We are both around quite a lot on this & other forums, Jooske nearly always beats me to the thread though!
    We are unpaid but just love it here :D

23. MichaelE

:D I see.... Good to know as I might need you all a lot.

But I have to run now. Got a call from another retiree 80+++ upset to the top.. His PC is a mess, wondering if I can help o_O o_O

See you

Michael :D

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Glad it worked for you!
    I'm on ADSL, so the system is a lot on line.
    I just jump in and out and give always priority to the postings in the DCS forums here, as far as i can answering them.
    I remember my own time starting to use TDS and WG long ago and the questions and confusions i had, now we're several versions advanced and i see new questions with the new windows versions and other software, learning myself from people's questions and solutions as well, aso if i come to another windows version i know a little bit how to deal with and what to look for and what to do etc etc.
    Beta testing what is available in the private DCS forum, like the PE recently tested and already refined again with lots of beta testing for the current version, and another nice tool etc. So it's really nice to visit there as well and learn lots more and other nice stuff we don't post much about here in the open, like the scripting with TDS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.