TDS-3 Full Time Protection?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by SpongeBob, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Registered Member

Does TDS-3 protect me from trojans all the time like my resident AV program (NIS 2004) which is running in the backround all the time, or is it just a scanner which I start manually when required?

If TDS-3 is not running all the time, is it recommended to also install some form of memory resident trojan protection? If so, is there a recommended DiamondCS product?

Regards, Bob

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!
    TDS has a resident part, which is the exec protection which can only be installed in the registered version, inteneded to block malicious code from executing as long as TDS is running.
    There comes the Active Guard in TDS-4 to be a more thorough resident protection and a scanner.
    At the moment TDS is an on demand scanner, advised to have some other AV/AT beside it. See the AV part of your current AV scanner for viruses and other things an AT is not intended for, and the AT part as a second opinion and at the moment as a resident protection.

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi spongebob, welcome to the forums :)

YES, it does indeed protect you all the time like an AV's RTM does.

But, as Jooske pointed out, you do need to be a Registered Owner, and then Install the "Execution Protection" part MenuBar/TDS/Execution Protection/Install :D

YES, it does have to be running, but in the Configuration section you can have it so it minimises to the SysTray [like your AV] via the -minimise button.

What it does, is to monitor the 'Start up' of each and every .exe, so if a trojan does indeed come in and tries to start, you will get an alert.

Hope this clears it up via Jooske's and my replies.

Jooske also mentioned ProcessGuard [PG] that you install and it protects every Running Process. :)

Attached a screen shot of TDS Execution Protection installed.

Cheers, TAS!

Attached Files:

4. SpongeBob

Thanks for the info guys.

I definitely intend to become a registered user. I am thinking of buying the action pack, as it seems a good deal for $99 with an upgrade to TDS4 included. Not sure how useful the other stuff will be though, but Diamondcs seem to know what they're talking about so it must be useful to have.

Execution Protection sounds like it's very useful to have switched on. I am wondering if it will slow the system down and if it will co-exist with my norton internet security firewall and av software?

Re. Process Guard - will I also need this as well? Does it use many resources? I thought the action pack stuff covered this?... No I just checked, it has wormguard not PG! Do I need all this stuff to be installed and running in background or will TDS3 be enough?

Thanks and Rgds, Bob

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

H SpongeBob, Execution protection uses no resources when running in the backround but it interogates each file that is opened so there is a very, very slight delay on opening a programme, on a fastish PC you will not notice it at all :)

6. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

SpongeBob I have TDS3 and Process Guard. With this setup I can check my PG log and see the protection working. It will show a log entry everytime the EP checks anExe. You need PG to go along with TDS3.

7. SpongeBob

Thanks Guys,

I'm buying tomorrow, so think I'll go for process guard in addition to the $99 pack.

With regard to slightly slower file startup.. I don't have a very fast system, and Norton AV already slows things down, but hey, what the hell... I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Regards, Bob

8. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Spongebob,

You'll be hard pressed to find a PC older and slower than mine. And I'm running TDS3 without a problem. It is a nice tool, and it even talks to you on those lonely nights... ;)

D&C

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And do have a look at the CryptoSuite as well which we all really love to encrypt our stuff and use the encrypted chat among us! Safer then telephone to communicate!

10. SpongeBob

Just had a quick look. Cryptosuite seems interesting, and definitely one to consider. Pity DCS doesn't do a discounted bundle deal... I'd end up just going for the lot :)

I already have file encryption built into WinXP Pro, which I was told was the most secure encryption available. But I assume cryptosuite allows encrypted files to be transferred to non XP pro users? The chat feature seems interesting. I'd like encrypted emails, like PGP but less complicated to use with non MS email clients.

Thanks... Bob

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

There are some very interesting arrangements: you buy something, look in your own member area and you find your personal pricelist, buy another product and find new discounts on your personal pricelist, etc. DiamondCS values customers a lot!
    CryptoSuite is different from the build-in WinXP encryption, you might like to try it on your own system, have a look in the CryptoSuite forum and connect to the public server, which is a user who offered his own personal system for this, so it is not connecting via a vague far away server system but a true 1-2-1 connection and or in case of more people in the chat 1-2-X but very discrete.
    Imagine this as messenger service for companies: you can see the packets only encrypted going over internet (test in TDS with the port listen function for instance and in Port Explorer with the socket spy function) etc.
    There are wishlists for future versions, among which encrypted email. Of course there is a work around with sending an encrypted file to a receiver and tell them the passphrase to decrypt it again.
    So yes there are discounts for your next shopping via your members area.

12. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Apologies for taking a question in this post but where do I find 'my members area' for furture DCS purchases? I have a registered version of TDS and have a little shopping list but didn't realise I had a personal price list o_O

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

www.diamondcs.com.au > click on TDS or Port Explorer or another you have, left navigation bar "members area"
    You might have to login with the instructions from your registration email.
    With Port Explorer or Cryptosuite and i guess Process guard it is a menu option on top of those consoles.

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Jookse, followed the link and found the area I should be in now :) a very thoughtful scheme fom Diamond for extra shopping now ~ Thanks ~

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome!
    Did you see the other shoppe and merchandise areas too? Nice stuff eh?
    hihihi the graphic artists didn't discover those yet it seems :)

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

DiamondCs software is full of surprises with added extras in the members area - off for a little look in the other corners I did not discover now ;) I just wish they had a UK outlet for all the merchanise they have.
    I think they should put you in charge of the PR as I have learned a lot about the software from you Jookse :)

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

They should better use a pro for that part :)
    Did you know in the DiamondCS forum and for registered TDS users in the TDS Private forum are at times the extra "registered operators only" announcements and goodies? (or members only -- only via our members areas for instance)
    It's DiamondCS from that land downunder which is so full with surprises for us all!

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hi Jookse, I have been to the private forum to look at the posts, must keep an eye on the announcements in there ;) I don't think I own any other software which has so many hidden gems and helpful resources whatever the problem is. I am definitely as your little script program announces with Genie - "addicted" and do my best to spread the word about DCS's software.

BTW I consider you a pro as I have read a lot of your helpful posts about the various software and the power behind it. I am shocked when others tell me I have no need for TDS and things like this, just come to Wilders and look at the number of members and then decide ;)

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thank you Robyn, there are a lot of gems in ths DIAMOND software indeed :)
    I look at other people as pro's in their area and so we all look at each other and in the meantime with so much pleasure on our secured systems. I like the wav testfile too with the kilos of chocolate in that! (did you rename it to WelcomeF.wav to enable that to play too?)
    Comes close to the InnerPeace.SS3 script too euh? :cool:

20. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I haven't found the wav test file Jookse, is it in the sample scripts or posted on this forum?

Edti: just found it I should have taken time to look before asking :oops: back again is it the one in the test files for TDS and WormGuard link as I cannot get it to play via TDS o_O I chose save target as and placed it in the Script folder but it has a WMP logo o_O

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It should start playing in your test script if you run it via TDS :) (so please put it in C:\WelcomeF.wav )
    Her words are really calling for something !

22. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

:cool: it worked Jookse and it was fun ;) good thing I don't eat chocolate or I may just smudge the keyboard ;) you can have my share of the chocolate :)

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Great, thanks! Now in the scripts\usersubmitted\Wayne is a jukebox you can point to play your music via TDS. For my system it only works for music files i put in the c:\ , many others can point it to their various locations elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.