TDS 3 (build 3.2.1) hangs on my XPpro

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by RabbitOnTheMoon, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RabbitOnTheMoon

RabbitOnTheMoon Registered Member

Hello. I've (re)installed TDS3 several times, but always get the same kind of problem:

"while trying TDS3 (build 3.2.1), I've encountered one problem in XP: it just can't scan anything, and when it tries, it eats 100% of my CPU, so I have to press "reset" button. That's rather strange for NT... I've tried switching off all available for limited-user profile tasks (so there were nothing except of TDS and task manager left), but I've got the almost freezed system again. The problem occured only with in-memory scans of started processes. I've restarted my PC ~8 times trying to figure out what's goin on, and finally gave up and tried TDS in Win98 SE.  "

So, it would appear, that TDS makes an endless loop or something while scanning in-memory processes.
    Other software I have:
    * Outpost FW 2
    nothing more. As I have mentioned, Outpost's process is not accessible and I tried to shutdown it and it's service, but - it didn't help. o_O

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi RabbitontheMoon,
    welcome!
    Do you start TDS with windows startup?
    Start it manually after the startup processes are done, or delay it a little time to give it more space.
    If the Process Memory Scan --the heaviest startup scan-- is to intensive, don't check it in the startup and you might like to do it manually afterwards.
    TDS in the Full System Scan is taking as much space as possible to speed up the scan process, in which time i do as few other tasks as possible.
    Does this help?
    The Process Memory Scan takes some time, depending on your system, can even be some minutes in which all seems to be frozen but it is not, it is doing very intensive big work!

How is it going on your Win98Se system?

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Are any of the first 4 files here outdated ?

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

4. RabbitOnTheMoon

> Jooske

Immediately after installing TDS, I have selected not to perform automatic on-start scan. Also I don't have TDS running automatically on system startup. I just start it and it performs automatic scan. I have been waiting it to scan totalcmd.exe (Total Commander 5.51) for ~30 minutes and there were no activity, so I don't think that it is okay :)
    Also, as I have mentioned, I have tried to do this with ~1-2 other processes accessible at all. Always - the same result. All worked fine, only if there were nothing except of TDS 3 process

The problem is that I just can't start TDS - it hangs.

On Windows 98SE all works fine.

> Gavin

Thanks, I'll check it.

5. RabbitOnTheMoon

>Gavin

comctl32.ocx is not available on the page you've sent.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello, RabbitOnTheMoon,
    I am running XP and did not need any of the files from Gavins link
    comctl32.ocx is in the windows\system32 directory the version I have is 6.0.80.22. (596
    KB)
    As a matter of interest can you tell us what PC you are using i.e. processer & ram etc, also did you do a clean install of XP or an upgrade?

Pilli

7. RabbitOnTheMoon

Well, I have updated comctl32.ocx and this didn't solved the problem

>Philli
    I have Althon 633 / 288 MB RAM. Reinstalling XP is a very hard job, and may take a several days (reconfiguring other software etc.), so I can't say wether it will work fine on fresh install. It would, I believe, but I can't say exactly. Actually I have all updates from MS, while I don't have XP SP1. I also have Win98se, 2kSP3 and one more XP (plus other OS'es, but I really don't think that it matters). When I installed XP, I did a fresh install.

As I can remember, I have started installation package (single exe file) via "Run as..." command, while being in a limited user profile.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am not sure but you may need to install as an administrator, I also believe that you will need to install seperately for each user.

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You only have 288 MB's of RAM? Is that a mis-print? If not, purchasing and installing more RAM is going to help you out tremendously.

Not having SP1 (at least) installed in XP is known to cause problems on some machines in relation to other programs running properly.

On the same computero_O?? :eek: And, why do you have two XP's?

By all means, if you're going to keep attempting to do this, un-install whatever it is you've got TDS-wise on that particular OS and re-install it as administrator.

Then try installing to any other profiles using the "Run as" using your Admin password.

Sounds to me like, on your "Configuration/Startup" tab, you either didn't

(a) actually un-check "Process File Scan" and/or "Process Memory Space Scan" (or if you did, that you accidentally re-checked one or the other) or

(b) that you managed to somehow get out of that screen before/without clicking on "Save". (See screenshot).

Good luck! Pete

Attached Files:

10. RabbitOnTheMoon

> Pilli
    I have installed it using my admin password. But anyway: I have logged on as administrator (ctrl+alt+del twice in "welcome" screen), uninstalled TDS, and then installed it again. The problem still persists.

> Pete
    Yes, only 288 MB of RAM. Slow RAM, on slow PC. I'm not a scientist, nor graphics engineer; don't edit movies and don't have web server running. So it's quite enough for me. But it is absolutely not enough when it comes to playing cool 3d games :) Actually, I think that purchasing a new processor will help me more.

But I've got all available updates from MS...

I just don't trust my 60GB IBM. So I keep another installation on my old HDD

BTW: I haven't mentioned. None of the TDS windows were accessible (except of the main), when I was lucky to start it (by closing all available programs). So I can't even configure it :(

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Try re-downloading the file from www.diamondcs.com.au as I am beginning to suspect that you have a bad or corrupted file. My TDS 3.2.1 file size is 7125 KB as shown in windows explorer.

HTH Pilli

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TDS after installation will first use it's default startup settings and scans indeed, which have to be finishedf before you can get to the configuration.
    Do yuou use some kind of registry protection, which might prevent TDS from proper installing?
    If so, disable such a thing temporary, and i supposer you did close any resident av/at, maybe wormguard if you have thast too.
    It starts looking like a bad install for some reasons.
    If it's not the system files, then it could be some like this.

13. RabbitOnTheMoon

> Pilli
    I don't think that it may be because of corrupted file. You know, corrupted executables aren't any good in running without crashes. And since an installation package contains compressed information, even loss of a single byte will result an unextractable archive. I haven't noticed any of such problems.
    My tds3.exe (installer) is 7 295 325 bytes long.

>Jooske
    I don't have any registry protection. I also don't have any AV. Only Outpost, which was shuted down.

o_O
    I also think that it's a bad install. I just don't have any other ideas. :) I really want to figure out what's wrong, but it seems to me that it's a harder job, than I've suspected :(

14. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Max,

just wait a little bit, then you got answers from Wayne, Gavin or Jason (developer of TDS) about this issue. I'm sure they will be able to help you out of this very special situation.

Soon is Monday! ;)

Regards,

Patrice

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

RabbitOnTheMoon,
    are you still in need of the file comctl32.ocx ?
    Maybe somebody can send it to you if that is the one you need?
    I don't run XP so can't help you myself.
    Did you run XP with SP1 or other?

16. RabbitOnTheMoon

> Jooske,
    Thank you Jooske, but there is no need - I have already got this ocx. I'm using XP without SP, but with all available updates from MS.

> Patrice
    I hope so :), because this situation appears to be, as you have mentioned, very special

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That SP is good for many, bad for some and i suppose unremovable once installed to try if it is curing the situation or not?

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Patrice,

No offense - but our dedicated DCS mods usually are very able to handle questions and issues in regard to DCS software. In case of emergencies, there's a "hotline" to the DCS software developpers as well.

In this context: please don't interfere with our DCS mods doing their - fine - job (as asked you once before).

Thanks in advance.

regards.

paul

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The DCS mods, being educated by the DCS team and knowing a lot but not every detail of every windows version behavior so awaiting the professional DCS answers as well for our info.
    All together for sure we'll get you RabbitOnTheMoon with a fine working system: it works for all people maybe with some extra configuration creativity, but we get there!

20. RabbitOnTheMoon

Thank you Jooske, I also hope so :)

I've reinstalled TDS in my second WinXP, and there were no problems. Perhaps there are certain registry keys (configuration), which I coud simply copy to my "everyday" WinXP from "reserved" one?

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

could be worth the try, if you make sure you can go back to the current situation if it doesn't work out?

22. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

RabbitOnTheMoon,
    Which scans can you do, and which can't you do? ie. is the process memory scan the only one which hangs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.