TCBrute broken?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Ericm, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ericm

Ericm Registered Member

I have forgotten my truecrypt password, but remember elements of it. I have downloaded TrueCrypt Brute from the security vision website, but it doesn't seem to work. It processes my list of 834 permutations of my password in well under 1 second and reports "password not found within this wordlist" . It seemed suspiciously fast, so I tried to run it against another truecrypt volume with a known and working password.
    The behavior was identical, password not found. The only version on the website has the caveat "TrueCrypt Header Bruteforcer - Please note that this is a pre Alpha and just for alpha testers".

It is quite possible that I am doing something wrong, encryption and coding is way out of my comfort zone. Could somebody offer advice - either a link to an earlier working version of TCBrute, how to fix my current version, or suggestions for alternatives to TCBrute.

I am running win7 32 bit, and don't have a monster GPU.

TIA

Eric

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I would suggest OTFBrutusGUI, which is available on tateu.net. I've had good results with this program. It's very flexible and it can even generate wordlists if desired. Tateu is a forum member here, so if you have any problems running his program then he might even drop by to help you. He also operates a support forum on his site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.