task manager

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bs259, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I'm not sure if i posted this question in the right place but here it goes.

Can somebody help me with a utility that is more detailed than task manager?

What I am looking for is a similar configuration, but enhanced in this way it tells me what each process running is instead of just an image name for example I know cli.exe is related to ATI software, but I never can figure out some of the others, I'm not looking for it to have any anti-virus or anti-anything else. I just want to know what is running on my computer, if it should be running, if it is dangerous, etc.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm not clear as to *exactly* which capabilities you are seeking in a Task Manager, but here are some good possibilities for you to try out...

Security Task Manager

Whats Running

DTaskManager - the one I use

Process Explorer

NOTE: DTaskManager & Process Explorer can easily be set as your Ctl-Alt-Delete task manager. They can be UN-set just as easily, so that the Windows internal Task manager returns to its usual state.

NOTE 2: All of the above are free except Security Task Manager, which has a free trial but, after the trial period, you gotta pay -- about $29, if I remember correctly. If you decide to choose that one, you can get a 10% discount at Dozleng

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

How do you do that? Thanks.:)

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thank's for that link bellgamin.:)

Standalone is what I like.

5. bellgamin

For DTaskManager, click Options then click Set Default Task Manager the click your choice.

Process Explorer has a similar option but I don't remember the buttons -- I dropped that program in favor of DTaskManager. Just mess around with the drop-down menus at the top of Process Explorer. You'll find it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TRIVIA: The "pound key" (#) on your keyboard is called an "octothorp."

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Another one you might look at is System Scheduler by Splinterware. They have a free and a pay version, either of whih is much better than windows built in scheduler. Both versions can send keystrokes or mouseclicks to applications. Both also work as a popup reminder program. Very flexible.
    Rick

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Aha, simple as that. Thank you.:)

8. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Also Wintasks Pro: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/

9. Coff

Coff Registered Member

There is a small free program called Quick Access from http://www.processlibrary.com/freetools/quickaccess/ It uses your normal Task Manager but adds a small blue icon next to each process. When you click on the icon it takes you to the process library web page for that task. (The icons only appear when you use Quick Access to launch Task Manager. If you launch Task Manager normally the icons won't appear. i.e. the program doesn't affect the normal use of Task Manager unless it is specifically run.)

The Process Library is at http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

The above is based on WinTasks Pro, see Wai Wai's post above, and you'll be offered a free scan with this program if the task isn't listed at the website.

10. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

thanks for all the replies so far, but does anybody have any other sites that will give more information. task manager is good but i want more, i want to know what each process running actually is, is it safe to run, is it telling me everything that is running, hidden malware, etc.

11. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

This one does what you want:
    Wintasks Pro: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/

Also Google can be your answer too.
    Just search for that process (eg Google explorer.exe)

12. bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.