Taming Plasma

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

How does one go about taming Plasma? Well, that seems to be a recurring question I get asked in the emails. People are really interested to know about theme, font, icon, and window decoration management in Plasma, and how it compares to the good ole KDE4. A valid question. So let's answer it. My latest OCS-Mag article. Avanti. After me.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/04/27/taming-plasma/

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I love Plasma, but Plasma 5 feels "dead" and sad, it's black and white colors makes it depressing, IMO.
    The small icons and colors are dull, sad, and make me want to switch to MATE. Only if the GTK guys didn't screw up themes with every update.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Great article Mrk.
    This mirrors the short experience I had with Plasma 4 some time ago: clear as mud.
    How can you come up with a "new" desktop environment and keep the same stupid complicated arrangement. Take DPI scaling, you still have to navigate through a dungeon of different options; it's like KDE's programmers know not beyond x1200 resolutions (or x900?). And this is after close to 2 years development for what is still a buggy desktop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.