Talking Routers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I just had to replace a wireless router because it died. I started doing some research and realized that I knew nothing about routers. I just found out that the 54mbs rated speed doesn't have anything to do with the download speed from the internet. I never transfer files between computers so that speed doesn't come into play. Isn't that correct? The main thing I'm interested in is stability ,security and it doesn't cause problems. What router do you have?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

D-Link, about 9 mos. now and not a peep. Install was a breeze and their website is very useful for any questions that I have. Tutorials out the wazoo!

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use this one : "D-Link DI-604 DSL/Cable Internet"

It seems to me that it doesn't exist anymore, so the link shows another model, but it looks like mine :
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452

I don't understand anything about routers, so I use its default configuration.
    It seems to do something, because it has a quite extensive log, but I can't READ it.
    I never had any technical problems with it.

I don't really trust my router or firewall (LnS), that's why I have a frozen snapshot and after my reinstallation in September, I will have an new army of images and archives to keep my computer very clean, including a solution for my activation problems.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Had a Belkin Pre-N for about a year. This replaced a Netgear (RangeMax) never again for Netgear.

The Belkin was good and fast, until last week. It just started disconnecting. This gave me a good enough reason to buy the D-Link Extreme DIR-655. So far, it's an excellent piece of gear. It's the only router that supports my 30/5 MB cable connection without slowing it down. W/ the Belkin I was getting around ~19-22MB down and ~2-3MB upload.

...screamer

5. WilliamP

I had a D-Link wireless. My wife played Yahoo Spades on the computer and she would get thrown off the game. She would loose 50 points each time. That didn't make her happy. It was wired to the computer. So I by passed the router and that helped. I had tried shutting all my security before by passing the router.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A bunch of Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, and WHR-G125's acting as wireless access points, client bridges and simple switches (get them on sale and they're cheaper than most dedicated switches) running updated DD-WRT firmware with everything hosted by a Zyxel ZyWall 10, about to be switched out for a Zyxel ZyWall 2 Plus.

Blue

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is still available several places. I use one myself and love it. http://www.neighborhoodcomputers.ca/prod7.html

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are you using cable or adsl?
    if your using adsl i guess you would need a modem/router.
    but if your using a cable modem you would just need a router.
    i would look at a zyxel router if i was you.
    im thinking of getting a decent router once i get my new pc.
    ive found a decent adsl 2 modem router for £30
    lodore

9. ErikAlbert

It's hard for me to love it :D , because I don't understand it due to my total lack of knowledge. I don't understand its log either and what it represents.
    Not really my priority #1 either. I put all my time in Image Backup and Immediate System Recovery, that is an area I do understand. :)

10. 19monty64

That version's firmware was last updated in April of this year. They still support the routers after their "End of Life" date, for 2 years I think. Their website is very helpful for resolving issues, just make sure to update the firmware!

11. WilliamP

I am on BellSouth DSL . Westell modem and now a Linksys WRT54G router.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Still playing with UTM routers, pfSense is growing on me (thanks charincol)

13. ErikAlbert

This is what the website says, after I did a search with "DI-604" :
    but I can get the firmware of model "DI-624". Case closed. :)

14. 19monty64

I forgot, you are in Europe where it is no longer supported. In N.America, it still has firmware-dLo's available. I would go with Linksys next.

15. ErikAlbert

OK. Tomorrow I will look for it and adjust my installation file. I always seem to forget these firmwares. Thanks for your posts and research. :cool:

16. WilliamP

Seeing that I am limited by my DSL speed there is no reason for me to look for anything faster than the router that I have.My download speed is about 14mbs. At least it said 1387kb/s. At least now with the Linksys my wife isn't complaining anymore. I didn't tell her when I hooked the computer into the new router. Now I feel a lot better knowing I'm behind a router. I have one computer hard wired and the other wireless.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  17. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used to use linksys exclusively until i updated the firmware of my last Linksys and it killed it dead on the spot. Went to D-Link and haven't looked back since.

bigc

19. BlueZannetti

Your Linksys should be alright at this speed. Wan to Lan routing performance of the WRT54G/GS ranges from about 20 Mbps to 55 Mbps or so, see here.

As for alternative firmware - just be very cautious - the capability is version dependent.

Blue

20. WilliamP

I have a version 8. But I have a WRT54GL ordered. I don't know if I will try a third party firmware or not.

21. WilliamP

Ian. I am looking for dependability and security. Talking third party firmware. The GL I have coming will handle it ,as far as I know. What firmware do you feel is the best? I don't want cut down on dependability. Any one else with suggestions I would be appreciated to hear them.

22. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Blue,

May I ask you what are your reasons to switch from ZyWall 10 to ZyWall 2 Plus?
    (just only interested ;))

23. BlueZannetti

Newer generation hardware, it has a higher routing throughput ~12-15 vs 34-36 Mbps (just firewall on). My connection is bumping into the 10W's max capabilities, so it seems time for a bit of a hardware bump.

Unfortunately, they're in very short supply. Mine's backordered with delivery uncertain - which is not a major deal given that it's a future directed upgrade.

Blue

24. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Blue !

Cheers, Jan.

25. ErikAlbert

I replaced the old version with the new version in my DI-604 router, so your posts and efforts weren't useless. Thanks. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.