taking my HDD away with me question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i am going away tomorrow and want to take my HDD with me because there's a PC i can use there. i learned about hardware at school so i have installed afew HDDs before. if everything is compatible is it just a matter of changing the HDDs around? is there any chance i might have to do anything else, like adjust the jumpers? thanks :)

2. hadi

hadi Guest

If XP is the OS it wont boot at all UNLESS the transfere between two identical hardwares OR identical machines.

3. hadi

hadi Guest

Also, OEMs can be transfered within its brand name machines regardless the hardware.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Hadi. i'll take it and hope for the best, i don't know what OS or hardware they have, i doubt it will work now :( i was hoping that all other hardware had to be compatible, but with the HDD it wouldn't matter.

5. hadi

hadi Guest

hi
    you can always slave it (make sure jumpers are set correct). so you can have easy access to your folders/files. BUT setting it as a boot drive it will not boot.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

oh, well that sounds OK then. but, what do you have to do to the jumpers so the master and slave are seen? will there be an obvious switch? or do you have to plug something in? i'm OK with the power lead and the IDE cable, it's just the jumpers i never understand.

7. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi, if i slave this HDD from another drive, and the other drive has malware, i'll catch it, won't i? thanks

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A little info

Attached Files:

9. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks, BigC. i'll put it on a floppy and take it with me. i downloaded the lifehacker website to take with me (i just got out of bed to turn the computer off)

do you know if it will be safe for me to use my HDD if the master has malware? thanks

10. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    how to set jumpers usually found on HDD's sticker (written and diagramed). As far as malware concerned. the short answre you will not be safe. If possible, disable the the system restore in the machine before slaving your HDD. make sure the slaving is done when the machine is off and plugged form the outlet

11. hadi

hadi Guest

sorry last line should read:UNPLUGGED from outlet

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i'm confident i can do everything else, it's just the jumpers i've never done before. i'm going to have a look at some sites now to get it straight in my head.

13. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

In my machine the slave drive has the jumpers removed. It`s been that way with 3 drives so far. Maxtor and Seagate.

14. hadi

hadi Guest

some HDDs are well designed to auto select "cable select". how old is your machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.