Take this 3 step Geek Challenge

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Escalader, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Here is a 3 step challenge for all geeky experts who believe their freebie security set up is best for them and therefore must be best for everybody else as well! :'(

When chickening out on this as trivial, a wasted effort, not required or just plain stupid, you have already failed the challenge! To minimize excuses the links are provided. Oh yes it will take some time to carry out and report facts which are much more difficult to work with than opinions.*puppy*

1) Download, update and run the latest and greatest Spybot-Search and Destroy and report the results on this forum.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

2) Download, update and run the latest and greatest Adware Personal and report the results on this forum.
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

3) Download, update and run the latest and greatest antivir_workstation_win7u_en_h and report the results on this forum.
    http://www.free-av.com/

Since they these take up precious limited resources from your PC's you simply uninstall them when done (unless of course they find something):gack:

If your PC security setup is so great, why not test i? Take up the challenge and report, "proof is in the pudding." :p

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Uhhm, I have all three and I came up squeaky clean. And yes I believe my free setup is awesome, while being insanely free and light :D .

Alphalutra1

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have all three programs. They all did not indicate any serious problem on my PC. Only cookie items were found by AdAware and Spybot.

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Nah, no thanks.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Could you please explain what is the challenge?
    Mrk

6. The Gorilla

The Gorilla Registered Member

I fail to see the challenge. I would guess that the majority of people already have these programs installed on their computers as part of a layered defence.

If the challenge is merely to download then how does that make you a geek, surely there is more to being a geek than just installing these programs.

Confused I am.

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I get it. The challenge is to see whether people know how to install and uninstall computer programs. :rolleyes:

That's all there is to it. Those 3 progs should already be a part of some users' security setups. And by the way, there are other AS and AV programs which are better than the 3 listed ones here.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

That is right nadirah. AdAware and Spybot are just medium based AS.
    If someone would like to check out his PC with freeware, he could try this:
    CureIt (AV) + Ewido (AT) + SuperAntispyware + GMER (AR) + HijackThis (All).

9. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I have Spybot and AdAware installed already on this PC, so they came up 100% clear. Antivir found nothing either, so I guess I must qualify for some prize, whatever it is. My security is very light, and my PC is lean and mean with only 29 processes running.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My Pc is dam clean. I don,t need such a test at all.

11. Escalader

60 % of the posted replies have failed the challenge so far.:rolleyes:

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Would you be so kind to explain what the challenge is?
    I cannot take a challenge if I don't know what it is, can I? Contrary to the definition of a challenge. So please explain or force me to ignore you.
    Mrk

13. Escalader

Ignore me is you want, I don't care.

Read the last sentence of my post.

Follow post 2's example and you will have accepted the challenge, which is simply put run the tests and post the results, proving that for at least those 3 tools you are "clean" or not.

No excuses need be made.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I did not save the output reports, so I guess I did not fully complete the challenge. Sorry.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have pitty for u. lol
    pls compolete it or u might loose ur award.:)

16. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

The 3 musketeers found 21 virus, 16 tracking cookies, 2 Trojans and one Rootkit. I think i have a very bad secuirty setup :(

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree.

18. Escalader

Tommy:

Not to worry, having helped you alone makes my posting worthwhile. You are the current winner in spite of the problems you discovered, you have what some lack the courage, to test and report bad news!

Now you can move to strenghten your system but be carefull who you listen to.

19. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't have any HIPS, sandbox, a resident antispyware, nor a complete firewall and for over a year and got only one "serious" adware trojan infection on the computer. You must be surfing in "unsafe water"? o_O

21. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Let's say my posting was some kind of ironic http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Not sure of what type of irony? Are you referring to False Positives? Or is your protection a mirage? Or was the result reporting just a joke? The computer world is riddled with inconsistencies. :p

23. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Uhhh...I don't know where to begin, but I'll try.

Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D were great tools of their day, and are still good to have in addition to other software, but running a scan with just these 3 software tools will not, infact, prove if your system is infected with anything.

If to be considered a Geek you must download and install software that most people have been running for years, then how is that a challenge?

BTW...if these are the only tools you ever use to check your system...You might want to look through some other posts here at Wilders and discover some better tools that can find things other than tracking cookies.

24. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Let's say it this way. Mr. Escalader likes to provoke members of this board to do whatever crazy stuff with whatever background. For that he is known here, and we like it :)
    So you can't take it to serious. Have a look on my signature, Do you think with this setup i would have '21 virus, 16 tracking cookies, 2 Trojans and one Rootkit' ? Don't think so.

25. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Given my prior to experience with online chatrooms, I learned that ANYTHING that you read online has to be taken with a grain of salt. Period. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.