SystemWorks 2005 ( Norton )

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kraftwerk, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Registered Member

When Norton AntiVirus detects a virus, a pop-up "Virus Alert" window dispays saying that a file has been removed.
    Then one must click "OK" to cose the pop-up.
    I trust into Norton product. I know that it works. So why asking the user to close this winow ?
    Is there a way to avoid this anoying pop-up to appear ?

Thanks

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi kraftwerk, ;)

I'm using NSW 2004 Pro ... and I don't believe that there's is an option. I quickly check their Knowledge Base, and couldn't find any thing.

You can send them an Email and ask (Here) --> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/cs_contact.html

dog - *puppy*

3. kraftwerk

Hi dog,

Thanks for your response :)
    I was into contact with them before, but they simply put me away from the green saying that only "non-technical" issues should be forwared to them !
    So it seems that SYMANTEC definitively does NOT propose any TECHNICAL SUPPORT.
    :mad:

Is there a way to execute a "batch" or background program that will automatically
    "kill" the "Virus Alert" pop-up window ?
    I think to the equivalent "kill -9 PID" in Unix systems ?
    Unfortunately, i am can not find out the process to kill as the pop-up appears to be hooked to the main NSW process o_O

Thanks again

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Welcome to the world of Norton support. If these pop-ups are annoying you, then perhaps you should find out why your PC is constantly bombarded with baddies. It's been several years since my AV has intercepted a PC bug.

5. kraftwerk

Hi nod32_9
    You're right !
    May be i should not connet to Internet at all. It's more than probable that i will not suffer at all !
    I think this is not an acceptable proposal.
    NAV is able to prevent the problem. So, why is it asking me to tell him " what a good boy ! you did your job well !" *puppy* ?
    It's not into my mind to critisize NAV, but rather to find out a bypass to this popup behaviour.
    :doubt:
    It's a reasonnable request, after all.

Bye

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

There are good drivers and bad drivers on the road. The same can be said about net surfers. Learn how to surf "safely" and you will eliminate AV popup alerts.

And remember that there are NO perfect AV solution. The root cause of this problem IS the USER, not the AV.

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I dont know either but I LIKE the feature. Here's why: Once I was online and picked up a virus, and got the popup. as soon as I said OK it popped up again. Then I realized it was serious so cut power to the modem and set firewall to block all (nothing like overkill) but once the connection was gone Norton handled the virus quickly. with auto okay, who knows?

I know its not an answer, but something to consider.

- HandsOff

8. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I'm going to say you might be out of luck here. I have worked on systems with Norton, McAfee, e-Trust(Both Full and EzArmour), AVG, PC-Chillion, Trend Micro Corporate Edtion.. and so on. All of these will alert you that you have just recieved a virus and that the program is trying to fix the situation.

They do this for the simple reason of alerting you. Why? So you can stop doing what your doing. While surfing the web you should not be encountering viruses so much that the pop-up's annoy you.

The only thing I can think we may be missing is if this is Norton Internet Security. But last I knew, even System Works 2005 didn't come with NIS.

Best of luck.

9. kraftwerk

Thanks to all of you, friends !

I will no longer try to find out a reasonable solution.
    to sum up: as long as i used Norton AV 2002 i never had these popups blasting on the screen.
    Now i use SystemWork2005 and i get a tenth of red virus alerts in a working day.
    I have not changed my surfing practices.

I must admit there is no solution.

Therefore i will disable NAV and install an other anti-virus product.

Again, thanks to you all :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.