Systemd – Progress Through Complexity

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Systemd is not my love, it's just a tool that makes my Linux boot, but init is not my son. That was bad, I apologize. Anyhow, if you want to learn how to do things the hard way, you might be interested in my unsuccessful escapade in resolving boot issues on a Fedora box powered by Systemd. All that and more in my latest OCS-Mag article. Take a look.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/10/19/systemd-progress-through-complexity/

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

In the last 3 years of using Arch on this laptop, I have only ever had breakage issues with two "programs:" pulseaudio and systemd. Other programs have had "bugs" on occasion, but not breakage.

Both of these are the brainchilds of a certain developer I wont mention. Both projects seem quite quixotic to me, though apparently pulseaudio has its merits for some.

I prefer init personally, but I also prefer rolling release with great software availability (arch + aur). For now and since at least its codebase is open-source, ill stick with it. That said, I do hope for something much better in the future.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

GNOME 3 can be made quite usable with three basic extensions: a Launch extension to replace activities to show applications residing in the dash, an Applications extension to restore the classic GNOME menu and Dash to Dock extension which docks favorites into a convenient dock launcher for favorite applications.

It now works like a classic desktop environment because of these fixes to restore missing functionality back into GNOME 3.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That's why I stick with LTS releases. Fewer updates to botch things and I prefer stability over bleeding edge software.

I go with what works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.