system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tweety pie, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweety pie

tweety pie Registered Member

Hi Buck... Think I spoke too soon, just had 2 reboots (Sunday) There was no message on screen to give me any idea what caused it. Looked at the 'event viewer' and gave no info either, I just don't know what can cause reboots... probably a million and one reasons. Even if I live to be a 100 I'll still never be able to work them out. Cheers tweety pie.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

have you recently updated windows? or even recently updated to SP2? have you installed any new hardware? or made any changes to your hardware?

have you got the windows CD?

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Tweety Pie,
    Sorry about the bad news....
    It could be any of a multitude of things from a corrupt file, memory, hardware, or possibly a virus...

Like Ice said, you are going to have to post back with as much information about your system as you can...

System specs, Antivirus etc?
    How long ago did it start?
    Have you only just installed SP2?

Then we'll have to break out the big guns....the real computer experts. I'm only the light entertainment around the place :D
    PS. checked for any Dr Watson logs?
    Cheers,
    Brad.

4. tweety pie

Hi Ice, I'll give as much info as I can on bucks thread, save doing this twice, Thank you for your reply.

5. tweety pie

Hi Brad, thanks for coming to my aid again.
    I have Win. XP Home Edition SP2 which is already on the disc an OEM Version as 2 months ago I was having all kinds of error problems the company I have the warrenty under found after several phone calls that I needed a new hard drive, it was then that I used my new installation disc.
    I have Kaspersky Personal Security Suite, which I can't fault, I run a virus scan twice a week even though they say once a week always comes back clear of viruses.Always get 'Helkern' attacks but at least Kaspersky catch the attack.
    My daughter got an mp3 player so subscribed to a download site 'Limewire' have you heard of them, I feel relunctant to have this but she paid per yearly term to use the site, sometimes I feel this is causing the corrupt files.
    I have never accessed Dr. Watson... can you tell me how?

Ice will be familiar with Packard Bell/PC World but I have had my pc for over 3 and a half years, should really get a new one but of course haven't the cash at the moment and I still have warrenty for it till next year Aug.2006 just that not all the techy people are always right, took phone call after phone to discover that my hard drive was at fault, now I have a 80 gig instead of a 60 gig.

Hope my info can help, Cheers, Sue.

6. bigbuck

Hi Sue,
    Shouldn't be long before someone much brighter than me pops in to help!

Anyway, you ran a 'new installation disk'? ....not a 'recovery disk'....which usualy comes with OEMs. It didn't recover back to SP1?
    Want to just check control panel, performance and maintenance, system, and look under the general tab......
    Does it say service pack 2?

7. tweety pie

Hi Brad, yes it is definately SP2, I have the block up box popping up on various web sites including ebay. I have just found how to access Dr.Watson gives loads of info, it has 4 accounts of faults but none for the other day or today as I've had 4 reboots before I could do anything on here.
    Thanks for your prompt reply... Haven't got you out of bed have I... lol
    I have a sister-in-law that lives in Australia, she used to live in New South Wales but has recently moved, don't know where to though.
    Cheers, Sue

8. bigbuck

Yeah getting ready for bed soon....nearly midnight here.
    I would probably run checkdisk first....
    Right click on C:, go properties, tools, error checking, check now, check both boxes for file system errors and bad sectors, then start....
    Now if I recall correctly, it will say that Windows can't do it now, but will do it on the next boot, restart and let it go.
    It does take quite a while, maybe an hour or so.

Attached Files:

9. tweety pie

Thanks Brad, I have done that before, didn't take long on mine,scaned 5 sections got no errors back, only done it last week.
    Have a good sleep, hope your pc brain switches off- Nan Night- it's 5 to 3 here in the afternoon, with winter on it's way but soon you'll be having Christmas on the beach.
    Take Care, Sue

10. bigbuck

Cheers.
    BTW, will need to know more info about the 'disk' you ran...
    Recovery disk?
    Windows disk?
    Slipstreamed with SP2?
    Was SP2 installed after? Disk or Download?

11. tweety pie

Hi Brad
    Check Disk never came back with errors. I did try to do a System Restore but it came back saying it was unsuccessful- I think due to a corrupt file- haven't tried it though from when I downloaded your pci file. The Windows XP installation disk has SP2 on it anyway. I used the new disk on the 5th of Aug '05.

Cheers, Sue

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Sue :) i'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you so far. it seems you have a problem that doesn't have a definate solution, so you might have a hard time finding help.

these are the things i would do to try and fix the error.

firstly, i would go to windowsupdate, it's a long shot, but worth doing.

boot into the safe mode and replace pci.sys from there

boot into the recovery console and run "chkdsk c: /r"

if your computer has more than one memory stick, you could try just using one, in the first slot, at a time. or if you have another computer, with compatable memory, try memory from that.

you can try running a memory test.
    http://www.memtest86.com/

lastly i'd do a repair install.

13. bigbuck

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, if you do the fix in Buck's second link you would need to use this command instead, at number 3, as you are using XP.
    D:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers /y
    that's if your DVD drive is the letter D? and windows is on C which it sounds like it is. all it will do is copy the file, it won't say it's done it, but it will have, unless you get an error.

15. tweety pie

Hi Ice, thanks for your suggestions, I'll try to do some of that but you know I'm no expert, I feel as a gut feeling that it's some fault in the mother board, I don't get reboots every time like now I've come on here with no problems, it can't be the new hard drive that packard bell fitted and I'm using a new xp2 installation disc so that can't be the problem, I have 21 updates to do via microsoft so I'll install a few at a time. At times I feel like getting hold of the tower and giving it a good shake, that's how frustrated I become but then I'd have more problems than when I first set out with. Thank you for your help.
    Like the new icon by the way, you've 'dumped' your girl- I wouldn't even know how you do these icon things, see I do at times need to be taken by the hand.
    Cheers, take care ,Sue. been nice conversing with you.

16. tweety pie

Hi Brad.... No way are you a ''dumb aussie'' your info has been a big help, I don't even know how to transfer images to a thread so I'm more dumb than you.
    I'll certainly check out those threads.
    I'm thinking of downloading PC Tools 'Registry Mechanic' just to see what the scan would give me and I've disabled ''auto start'' so if the pc rebbots I'll get the BSOD and may get further on the problem. Take Care and enjoy your summer.... Cheers, Sue

17. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi, Sue :) you have 21 updates? i'd just install them all in one go. make sure you come back and let us know how it goes. don't give up, i think we can fix it.

BTW NO WAY HAVE I DUMPED JULIET!!! she rocks! she also lives in London :eek: i can always visit her at her home page below too VVV
    http://www.julietsounds.com/

18. tweety pie

Hi Ice. Does the following info mean anything to you:-

Technical information

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF82781D, 0XF8604A10, 0x00000000)
    ***win32k.sys- Address BF82781D base at BF800000, Datestamp 422511a2

Does this pinpoint as to where the problem is? The info was given on the BSOD.

Cheers, Sue

19. tweety pie

Hi Brad. Does this mean anything to you:-

Technical information

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF82781D, 0xF8604A10, 0x00000000)
    ***win32k.sys- Address BF82781D base at BF800000, Datestamp 422511a2

I've asked 'Iceni 60' the same question. This is the info given on the BSOD.

20. ice60

ice60 Guest

i looked it up quickly at MS and didn't find anything. have you installed the updates yet? they could fix the problem.

21. ice60

ice60 Guest

i know it's no help, but this bit 0x0000008E (0xC0000005 means - KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED A memory access violation occurred. then it goes no to talk about BIOS updates and disabling the driver in safe mode and oh, i'll just post what i'm reading. it also mentions win32k.sys too. i'll look up the rest of the message in a bit, i feel abit spaced out ATM so it's probably best to stop for now.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._12795dee-19a9-4461-a135-bbb882b81455.xml.asp

22. ice60

ice60 Guest

there's also a hotfix that just came out that's similar to your error message so maybe MS is working on it? you could try emailing MS support?

23. tweety pie

Hi Thanks for the link, I'll look that up but I pretty much doubt that MS support would reply to me.

24. bigbuck

No, sorry. Googled, but didn't find much.

I've been thinking, if you've still got 21 Windows updates to get? Then you are still in the early days of getting your new HDD....

If it were me, I would be seriously thinking about backing up my data and reinstalling XP fresh... :doubt:

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Sue, none of the links and ideas i have written are just for you to go through by yourself, they are just a reference for me, i will help you. but, i have read about similar problems to yours and all the solutions are to go to windowsupdate and update, or get the hotfix. so, it's really important you go to windowsupdate and get the updates. have you done it yet?

how long have you had your install up and running? is it recent?

and if you email MS support they will email back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.