system safety monitor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi how does system safety monitor work?
    is it like online armor?
    i just checked out there website and it seems good but i dont know much about how it works.

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Lodore

I'm just trying to get to grips with it myself and will posting in the Configure SSM thread shortly for some advice.

It really handles a bit more like PG than OA as far as I'm concerned but with considerably more user intervention required than either of those, which is fine by me. Just don't particularly like the 'community based' HIPS, but that's just my preference.

The paid version ( which I now have) is markedly different in some respects to the free version in particular with the registry protection. They are a bit behind updating the help file but they're aware of it and generally the support seems first class.

It seems to be a high class app with a lot of ongoing development but does require significant levels of concentration to get the best out of it and I think it will take me some time to get some of the more advanced elements tweaked properly.

There is a learning mode but I'm trying to learn the hard way with it switched off as that will hopefully give me more insight into whats actually happening.

Hope that helps a bit

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lodore, That is such an open ended question the only answer I can give you is "Very Well."

You might think of some more specific questions, and post them either here, or in the SSM forum where the developers will also answer.

Pete

PS I use it and like it

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you want to use SSM *simplistically* all you have to do is answer the pop-ups...

A- Each time SSM encounters a process that tries to do something on your computer, SSM looks at its database to see if you have already set a rule for that process for that particular action.

B- If SSM does NOT find an existing rule for that process & action, it pops-up & gives you the choices: (1) Allow always OR (2) Allow only this one time OR (3) Block always OR (4) Block only this one time.

C- If you are unsure what to answer on the pop-up, you can do a fast research by checking HERE or HERE or by doing a search here at Wilders, or by posting a request for advice here at Wilders. This may sound like too much bother, but it isn't. My two youngest granddaughters do it, & have learned a LOT from their efforts.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Beyond the simplistic allow/block stuff, as discussed above, SSM also enables you to exercise IN-DEPTH control over the specific activities of the processes on your computer, as well as to specify the degree of protection that you want SSM to exercise to prevent them from being terminated or messed-up by malware.

I have attached a screenshot that illustrates part of the many controls that SSM allows. The example I have used illustrates some of the controls & protection I have established for my computer's firewall. Notice that I have set SSM to protect my FW from termination, & to restart it if it gets stopped (a fail-safe).

SSM will provide a similar set of controls for any and all processes on your computer.

Bear in mind that SSM only requires you to answer "allow/block" questions -- usually ONLY once for any given process. The additional controls that SSM places at your disposal (such as those illustrated below) are TOTALLY optional as to whether or not you choose to use them.

My suggestion is to give it a try.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.