System Safety Monitor - Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ErikAlbert, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

While I understand the enthusiasm, lets try and stay on topic and no personal attacks or swipes.

Pete

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The answer to your question is "It depends."

In my *OPINION* ---
    Straight out of the box DSA+Cyberhawk will provide a broader spectrum of protection. That is, the default settings of DSA+CH are more inclusive than those of SSM or PS.

After 1 week training & including some minor tweaking by a reasonably studious user SSM would be the winner here, I think - but not by much. After all, it's 2 against 1 (DSA+CH versus SSM). I can't comment on PS because I never trialed it more than 3 or 4 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As to the second part of your question concerning using SSM or PS in COMBINATION with either CH or DSA --

>FYI & FWIW-- My own personal HIPS set-up is DSA+SSM.

>CH+SSM *might possibly be* a hair better than DSA+SSM, but I use DSA+SSM because that combo not only gives me a strong HIPS but also functions as a very effective firewall

>Concerning which, take at look at Matousec's recent tests.

>On Matousec's chart, the respective columns for DSA and SSM show that each of those 2 programs will INDIVIDUALLY give decent firewall leak-coverage.

>If you mentally combine the DSA & SSM columns, you can see that this combo will give you a bloody good firewall PLUS a top-tier HIPS as well.

>Better yet, the combined resource usage of DSA+SSM is lighter than a flea's flatulence in a hurricane.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    For those *busy folks* who want excellent HIPS protection but without much necessity for user involvement, the good choices include but are not necessarily limited to DSA+CH or Prevx or OnlineArmor.

If you want to factor in support-responsiveness PLUS user-forum-friendliness/helpfulness, then I would rank those choices as #1-Online Armor, #2-Prevx, with DSA+CH a very distant third.

Lots of stuff to digest in this thread, but isn't it fun! Security is like a giant chess game. Some folks want to play, whereas others prefer to watch. Whichever category you are in --

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I thaught I would not get answer to my question. Thank you so much for great informative reply.:thumb: :)

Guess you will not need XP FW or Comodo:D

As I read on in this forum I lean more and more towards the four: SSM, ProSec, DSA and CH.

I had just started on a new thread about these four, but I dont have the time to finish right now. Hopefully tomorrow. Then I plan to trial each of them.

Again thanks:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.