System Restore problems

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by kjalili, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjalili

kjalili Registered Member

I cleaned my pc from Trojan viruses and when I tried to turn on the system restore I received this message:

"System Restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drivers. Please restart your machine and try again."

I followed reply by dvk01 dated november 21 st 2004 for the above problem to check the services if they are set to Automatic.
    Help and Support
    Task Scheduler
    System Restore Service
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    The first and second service is ok, but I could not find 'the system restore service'.
    Also, the RPC service was dimmed and was unable to change it?

Any ideas what to do?
    Thanks

2. scootnod

scootnod Registered Member

RPC service is dimmined on mine too. It could be that the Restore Service won't appear unless it is enabled? Are you sure you are clean of viruses? I would run adaware and spybot with the newest definitions. Then I would go to www.pandasoftware.com and do their free online scan, and I assume you have TDS. Other things you could download are HijackThis! from Merijn.org (be carefull with this) and Security Task Manager from www.neuber.com. You can also run SFC /scannow under Start - Run and then reboot, to restore any damaged or missing windows system files (not sure what this does to any of the downloaded windows updated system files from windows update).

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Good advice Scotnod, Especially about using SFC /scannow , :) As it may be that kjalili has inadvertantly deleted some registry keys or system files.
    If important registry keys have been deleted od corrupted kjalili may have to do a windows repair using the installation CD.

These links will help explain the different repair methods.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

Please note that doing a repair install may mean that programs will need reinstalling after the repair but at least your data will be saved.

Pilli

4. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I had a similar problem and discovered that it was my process guard preventing me from restarting my system restore. On process guard I turned off the protection and shut down the program. I then turned system restore on with no problem. Rebooted my computer and then re-enabled protection in process guard. Hope it works for you. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.