System Restore Prob after bashing NAV in favour of KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kwesi, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

My PC has Win XP installed on it, & I installed the KAV 5 15-day trial version a few days ago, and have done two full sweeps of the computer with KAV. I like KAV so far, even though at times the CPU usage climbs to 100%, so that I can't easily get onto the Net, unlike with NAV 2003 (at least KAV spotted that my leaktest download held a trojan-style dll file, which NAV didn't).

Yesterday, I decided that I'd use Task Mgr to stop CCevent Mgr, and another Symantec process, which were running even though I'd closed everything that I could from the GUI. Although I got messages explaining that this could cause system instability/loss of work, I went ahead, & everything seemed okay. I switched the PC off, & had some food, & then logged back in.

Now, as I was going to run my registry cleaner (Registry 1st Aid), I tried to set a System Restore point. The system just hung there for about 5 minutes without moving, so I quit that, & decided to switch System Restore (SR) off, to see if clearing all saved SR points might help. It didn't, so I tried to switch it back on. That also seemed problematic, & I'll have to get home from work to describe this in a bit more detail, but, basically - does anyone have an idea of what may have occurred? I am likely to try reinstalling Win XP, or using my XP install disk, to 'repair' SR, if that option exists. I have also done two full sweeps with TDS-3, so I'm sure that it's not a trojan that's caused this.

Thanks.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, Black Cat. I had thought of uninstalling NAV, but (even though I still have the original disk) thought that I'd better be sure of KAV before doing so.

I will try, in order: uninstalling NAV, Last Known Good Config, and re-installing XP completely, & then post back here.

Btw, I couldn't get your link to work, so I'll try googling the issue. Thanks.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nav uninstall help. Here

5. Blackcat

kwesi,

Not sure why my link is not working at your end. If still not working try going to the unofficial KAV forum and doing a search there;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=409498bf0534ffff

Place 'Norton Antivirus' in the search engine, then double-click on the 14th thread down - ' Trouble installing KAV Personal Pro''.

My personal view is that the recent version of KAV 5 seems to be a little more sensitive to other AV's installed on the same computer than previous versions.

Post back to report whether you solve your problem.

6. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Yep - problem solved. It's just that KAV 5 isn't for me, excellent though I think it is. I assume that a KAV monitoring process was not allowing System Restore to run its 'Create a System Restore point' function (although I could go back to an earlier SR point in Safe Mode). I'd had an idea that TDS-3's Execution Protection might be at fault, but it looks as if for some reason, KAV was having a similar effect in my system, e.g. Zone Alarm Pro wasn't showing any records in its Alert Log whilst this was going on. Another strange thing was that when I was on these forum pages, I couldn't go to my home webpage by clicking on the home symbol - the KAV tray icon would whir away for a little while whenever I tried. I removed KAV by going into Safe Mode, and using two registry cleaners to delete registry entries. My system has regained its 'zip,' too, upon boot-up and closedown, so I'm happy.

My experience just bears out the adage for me that you've got to try various programs yourself, & work out what you are comfortable with. Thanks very much, Black Cat, & Safe Surfin' to all out there.

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

So did you uninstall NAV before installing KAV? If so, no wonder why your system wasn't running well. Generally installing and running 2 AVs at the same time is not the best idea, even if one is not running resident.

That being said, as others have mentioned, KAV doesn't get along well NAV. If you want to give it a fair shake, head to the Symantec website, go to support, do a search for "RNAV" which is an uninstall utility that totally cleans out NAV, a normal uninstall isn't enough. Uninstall NAV via the add/remove programs menu. Reboot. Run RNAV. Reboot. Install KAV.

Also, KAV gets lighter on your system after the first scan or two. It tags your files, so the one's that haven't changed from the previous aren't looked at in the current scan.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  8. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks,tazdevl, ronjor, & Blackcat. I already have RNAV in my favourites, but I didn't know about the tagging system that KAV uses.

I had already been thinking that the issue was one of software conflict. I knew beforehand that there could be potential problems, but not something which would (indirectly?) affect System Restore. I assume that SR's Create Restore Point function and some ZA functions require an amount of memory/CPU usage, such that they compound the drain on the system from two AVs running side-by-side.

Anyhow, I'm going to re-think my approach along the lines that you suggest, & hope to test McAfee Version 8 Professional & perhaps Panda/NOD32, before tentatively considering whther I'll give KAV another run.

I honestly think that AV manufacturers should warn users a little more about the possible system-sapping effects of having two AVs on a PC, but at least I've had practical experience of the problem myself, now.

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Kwesi, if you want to get completely rid of WinXP Restore feature (which will benefit your PC a bit in terms of performance too as you can disable the service completely), you can use ERUNT:

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

It creates Registry Backup on demand and at the same time compacts the registry.It's very easy to use.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Hyperion

Exactly.It's just that when you install Norton on your PC,you 'll never completely get rid of it untill you format the HD.He OWNS the PC. I 've installed KAV 5 + Panda 7+Avast right now with no problems.

12. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks to both of you.

Hyperion (nice name - my memory of Greek mythology says this is another name for the sun, right? If I'm wrong, I'm Dumbo; if right, I'm a show-off!:)) - I have erunt & ntopt, & had thought of relying just on erunt, but was a little scared to try removing System Restore. I'll look into it, and into the advice from ronjor et al.

13. tazdevl

I think his name refers to the sci-fi book series.

14. Hyperion

Hyperion in greek mythology was the Titan of light,son of Uranus (sky) and Gaia (earth). His sons were Helios(sun),Selini (moon) and Eos (dawn).And i am Greek

Nowdays it is also used as name of a star i think. Via also names its drivers after that,but i was using the nick before VIA :)

And i 've no idea of sci-fi books with that name.

15. tazdevl

LOL, as I said, "I think". Could be wrong and I was.

16. Blackcat

Although running 2 AV's, particularly NAV and KAV is not recommended and may have contributed to your system instability/software conflicts, KAV 5 may have a specific, direct, detrimental effect on System Restore;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=40e452685d7affff;act=ST;f=1;t=551

17. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks very much for that link, Blackcat.

Seems to me I either go with KAV & erunt, or retain System Restore, but use another AV (e.g. McAfee). I'll test some of the options out.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You could just purchase KAV 4.5 personal instead. :)
    So far, I am not seeing the issues with 4.5 that 5.0 has. 4.5 is a thousand times better AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.