System Restore & Image Software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by FadeAway, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

I recently bought Acronis True Image 10 and am successfully doing
    image creations and restores consistently, although still lots of RTFM
    ahead of me before I get fancy with it. The more I use it, the less
    it seems necessary to leave XP System Restore turned on.

Do any of you experienced imagers out there leave System Restore turned
    on in XP, and if so, why? For all of the 25 minutes it takes here to
    restore a full image of the OS partition, when in doubt I would feel
    much safer doing that

Thanks.

2. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I had system restore fail on me so many times that I learnt my lesson and turned it off. Would never rely on it again, when there are so many better alternatives.
    Also of course, it is only of value IF you can get into Windows in the first place........:doubt:

Ken

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Turn it off...

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's right, turn it OFF.
    Suppose, you install a new legit software, that doesn't like your system and corrupts your system so badly, that you can't even boot in Windows anymore. (This happened to me two times in one year, no kidding).
    How are you going to use Windows System Restore, if you can't even boot in Windows anymore o_O
    Only ATI10 will be able to save you in such scenario.
    If you want REAL Immediate System Restore, trial FirstDefense-ISR, this software will restore your system in no time, even when you can't boot in Windows anymore or when you have a frozen BSOD and you are stucked forever.
    ATI10 is enough and necessary, that's a keeper. I worked with ATI for more than a year and it never failed.

5. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I've lost count of how many times System Restore either failed to work on my XP PC or failed to restore everything. There's probably some connection between this and my installing FD-ISR, ATI, and Paragon on that PC. I can't say System Restore ever failed on my Vista PC because I turned it off as soon as I activated the PC. I have FD-ISR and Seagate DiscWizard on my Vista PC and I'll be buying Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Professional if Paragon support can ever figure out how to get cyclic (automatic scheduled) backups to work with Vista.

I recommend using two backup imaging and/or instant recovery programs (any single program can fail under unusual circumstances) and turning off System Restore to avoid wasting the disk space. IMO trusting System Restore is like trusting politicians ... it requires more blind faith than I can muster.

FadeAway,

You used the phrase "get fancy" with ATI. I've found ATI v9 and DiscWizard (which is a stripped down version of ATI v10) to be utterly reliable so long as I always make full backup images and avoid the Secure Zone feature. It was only when I attempted to "get fancy" (i.e. deviate from using full images stored on other hard drives) that problems ensued using ATI.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: How about VCOM's system suite v.7 pro ? I am testing it, and found its recovery features are somewhat interesting. Checkpoint feature allows user to create a new restore point prior to each new setup; disksnapshot feature assists user in creating a new disk snapshot at each start up. Should anything happen to pc, these two functions are able to revert it to previous working conditions. Anyone has experiences to share? Have a nice day.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Since i use imaging and FDISR, first thing I do is turn off system restore.

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Turn it off as long as you are backing up fairly frequently :p

Thanks,

Chris

9. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Question answered, thank you all.
    I never liked the idea that it might
    capture temporary confidential data.

SYSTEM RESTORE FUNCTIONS
    ===== TERMINATED =======

(flashing sign)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.