System restore from within Windows XP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jelenko, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Can you do a full system restore from within Windows? I'm using TI 9, latest version.
    I.e., assuming my system partition/disk is 'gone'. Can I reinstall Windows, install Acronis, then do a full system restore to the new partition when booted from Windows on the new partition?

It's not clear from the User Guide, although it seems to say that you can do this.

Reason for not using the Recovery CD is it doesn't show the hard drives [on SATA controllers] on the 965P motherboard.

Thanks

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can start a boot partition restore from within Windows, but the system will reboot to the Linux environment to do the actual restore. That's the same environment as if you had booted from the CD, but you don't have to put a CD in and it's faster.

3. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Great! Thanks.

4. MTX

MTX Registered Member

Found something interesting:

I can do a recovery via Windows using my "iSmart" external USB enclosure.

I can't do a recovery via Windows using my "Disk" external USB enclosure.

Looks like the chipset or circuitry of these enclosures do play an important part.

5. MTX

MTX Registered Member

I had a closer look at the 2 PCB and this is what I saw:

The "iSmart" uses a NEC D720133GB chipset.

The "Disk" uses a Genesys GL811E chipset.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Bingo! Nec is supported by TrueImage and Linux. It's the gold plated standard for USB 2.0.

I never even heard of the Genesys chipset before. Via and ALI chipsets are fairly common and some have problems. I wonder who Genesys is, but their chipset is not NEC compatible.

Good detective work on your part.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jelenko,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home build 4871 does not provide support for Intel® 965 Chipset. Please take a look at this post for details and workarounds.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Jotha

Jotha Registered Member

Hi,
    that's funny, my motherboard is a ASUS P5B Deluxe, chipset is Intel P965 Express.
    I have a system built with c: drive is a RAID 0 with 2 Sata II drives , and I have the backup image on a third Sata drive, all connected to the Intel ICH8R SATA/ RAID controller.
    Everything is working fine, windows sees all drives, TI sees all drives , and if I boot from the TI recovery CD, all drives are there.
    I extracted some files from the backup .tib file back to my RAID/ SATA c: drive with no problem whatsoever.
    So I think and hope, a full restore would be possible in case i need it.

And I am using Acronis® True Image Home® Version 10.0 (build 4.871).

Jotha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.