System Requirements For Version 4?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kurchatovium, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

Hi

Will ESS Version 4 work on a laptop with Windows XP SP1 with 256 Mb of ram? Your Website says it works with Windows XP but makes no mention of which Service Packs are needed. I have been using Version 3 so far for over 7 months with no troubles.:D

2. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

EAV default settings xp sp2 and 192MB, consume 13MB....

AH - uncheck modules

EAV and ESS consume equivalent RAM

cheers

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

v4 is a new release and is therefore still buggy - sticking with v3 (since it's working well for you) until v4 has a program component update(s) may be the best thing to do. I guess you could always try it to see if it works if you want, and then revert back to v3 if it doesn't.

256MB RAM should be sufficient for v4.

Why haven't you upgraded to SP2 or SP3 yet though?

4. kurchatovium

I still use XP SP1 on this laptop I got off Ebay since it really does not pay to upgrade it. Its sort of another means of security. If this cheap laptop gets trashed by virues or spyware I can then always reload a new OS over this old one. So far its held up fairly well. ESS version 3 has done a good job. I use to use Trend Micro till they discontinued the security suite I was using and wanted to much for upgrades and license renewals.

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Microsoft's support for Windows XP SP1 ended on October 10, 2006, almost 3 years ago. That means you're not getting the latest hotfixes and security updates for your system that better protect your PC.

Also, service packs don't just offer better security, they improve performance, stability and compatability. For example, I read somewhere that Windows XP SP3 improved performance (e.g. faster computer) by 10% from SP2. If you're having problems with ESET NOD32 Antivirus or other applications and contact support to resolve the issue(s) you'll have to give a description of your operating system. One of the first things they'll probably tell you to do is upgrade to SP3 or at least SP2.

Regards,

Mark.

6. kurchatovium

Yes I realize all this and if I wanted to do total upgrade I would have along time ago and basically I have gotten all the smaller fixes to avoid DOS attacks. Also ESET has never told me to upgrade to SP2 or SP3. I asked them before I purchased their software if SP1 was fine and they said yes. So I am very very familar with all the information you have given me and though I appreciate the attempts at help I would very much like an answer to the orginal question.

So can some one tell me if ESS version 4 is compatable with XP SP1?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

As you all can see on the official website - the oldest compatible OS is Windows 2000. So XP SP1 SHOULD work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.