System protection/lock for more drives than C: ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ola nordmann, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Hi,

I just installed ReturnIL to give it a test-drive. It seems great for me, since I like to install and test a lot of software :)

But I found one limitation - it only protects C:. For most people this is probably just fine, for instance if you have C: and D: and store documents on D:. Then it's probably what you want, so that you can store documents permanently between reboots, while only system partition (C: ) is locked.

But I have several hard drives, and I store software+games on both C: and D:, and therefor to prevent malware I would like to lock down both C: and D:, because a virus could just as easily infect D:

This seems impossible with returnil - are there other similar programs where you can choose multiple drives/partitions to protect?

EDIT: I enjoy a nice feature in ReturnIL, that you can enable protection without reboot. So it would be nice if another program also has this ability.

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes....the newest kid on the block - Shadow Defender.
    BUT it is not freeware.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, Returnil protects only partition [C:]. I also complained about it, but Coldmoon didn't see the benefit of it.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Look for PowerShadow,can lock the whole disk if you want to,similar to Returnil,and many happy users over here !!

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Shadow Defender can go into shadowmode and enable protection without reboot.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

When I was using PS it could slip in shadowmode without a reboot.o_O

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yep, both powershadow and returnil can switch to protected mode without needing to reboot. Powershadow has the added benefit of allowing you to protect one or all drives.

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I stand corrected, thanks, Franklin.
    Power Shadow can go into protected mode without reboot too !

Did not realise that earlier, now the challenge remains who can exit protected mode without a reboot :p

9. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Shadow Defender can exit protected mode without reboot, I guess?

But what about security? I hope you can set a password or something, or else malicous users or software can just disable protection.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From what i've seen shadow defender also requires a reboot to exit its protection mode. I haven't seen any product able to exit without requiring a reboot, it will definitely be a major breakthrough when its achieved.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Turning ON ShadowMode without reboot must be very easy.
    Turning OFF ShadowMode without reboot can't be that easy, because they have to change the system back in its original state and that requires a reboot.
    Maybe its possible for other partitions than [C:]

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, Shadow Defender can be password protected. You will need to enter password to open its menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.