System process "pegs" CPU after hibernate

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by gregc, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregc

gregc Registered Member

Not sure if this is a known issue too...
    Running Windows XP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook, core duo, 1GB RAM.

Everything runs fine as long as I don't hibernate. If I hibernate, then the SYSTEM process takes up the entire CPU % after "wake up."

Other processes can (and do) take some CPU time but System takes up whatever CPU is left over so the machine runs at 100%. I don't have any tools installed on this box to determine what subcomponents may be taking up CPU (yet).

Once I reboot all is well again. Let me know if there's any other info I can provide that would help.

-Greg C

2. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Get process explorer from www.sysinternals.com, that will allow you to see exactly what, if any, processes/services are taking up your CPU time. much better than task manager.

3. gregc

gregc Registered Member

I am running process explorer...the "system" process is the culprit. I'm not sure how to get more visibility than that. If there are further options to help "drill down" to see specifically what's going on with the system process I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, the sysinternals programs are great!

-Greg C

4. gregc

gregc Registered Member

I did some more testing....the problem seems to be with the E-mail protection module. If I disable THAT module then my notebook hibernates and comes back OK. With email protection enabled the system process pegs the CPU once ANY power operation is requested.

I saw 2-3 threads of the system process that were using high CPU:
    TID ntkrnlpa.exe!wctomb+0x5b5

There were several other threads with that name, but only two of them were listed with high CPU.

HTH,

Greg C

P.S. That's AV e-mail protection, NOT antispam. Antispam on/off doesn't seem to matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.