"System Partition Has Different Symbol"

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by MikeRogers, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeRogers

MikeRogers Registered Member

I'm running Returnil 2008 Free on WinXP SP3. The file version of rerurnil.exe is 2.0.0.7058.

My system has 3 internal disks, C, D and F, plus a DVD-RW, drive E. It also has two external eSATA disks, G and H, that hang off an Adaptec 1225SA eSATA RAID card (the disks are JBOD). The external disks (G & H) are used for daily archives and are only powered on when needed.

Here's my problem:

- If I install Returnil when the disks are powered OFF, I get the following error whenver I start Windows with the disks powered ON:

"The system partition has different symbol from saved one. Please reinstall to fix it issue."

- If I install Returnil when the disks are powered ON, I get the same error whenver I start Windows with the disks powered OFF.

Clearly, the system partition, drive C, has not changed, so why the error?

A search of this forum for this error message produces just one hit:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231242

where Coldmoon suggests that it is due to a change in my HDD line-up, rather than a change to my system partition.

(a) What's going on and (b) is there a way to get around this problem (other than always powering on the disks!!)

MikeR

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi MikeR and welcome to the forums :)

I have sent a request to the development and QC teams to find out if this issue has been corrected in the current 2010 Beta. In the interim, I have requested additional instructions for potential ways this can be dealt with until a fix is available.

To be thorough here: Have you tried the 2010 Beta? If yes, does it also present the same issue?

Thanks
    Mike

3. MikeRogers

Thanks for the swift reply and for the warm welcome.

I haven't tried the 2010 Beta. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a "sandbox" machine on which to try out beta software and am reluctant to try it out on my only machine. I guess that's one of the main reasons why I decided to give Returnil a try, since it should give me some sandboxing capability. Of course, I can sandbox everything except Returnil. :D

I await the news from your developers with interest.

MikeR

4. MikeRogers

@Coldmoon. Any news to report? It's almost a week since your last post and a workaround would be very useful.

Mike

5. Coldmoon

Hi Mike,
    For the 2x series, there is no work around other than to make sure the drives are attached before installation and to uninstall/reinstall RVS when adding a new drive to the lineup. This should be corrected in the next 2010 Beta.

Mike

6. MikeRogers

Thanks Coldmoon.

A pity but not unexpected. Unfortunately, it also means that I'd need to uninstall/reinstall RVS whenever I forget to switch ON one of my external disks, ie the lineup changes, not just when I add a new one to the lineup.

As an aside, I notice that if I click on the the big graphic at the top of the main page at www.returnilvirtualsystem.com (the one with the picture of the Returnil box) I'm directed to Majorgeeks where the 2010 beta installations is offered. However, if I choose the "Free Download" or "Download Trial" buttons offered in other locations at the site, I'm directed to the 2008 version(s). As a matter of policy, I suggest that people should only get the beta version if they explicitly ask for it.

MikeR

7. Coldmoon

Hi Mike,
    Give it another try - should be fixed now :)

Thanks for the heads up
    Mike

8. MikeRogers

Hi Mike,

Well, it's better but still a bit misleading. The apparent tabs on the bottom of the graphic don't seem to be tabs at all, so clicking on the Personal/Free part takes you to the Premium download.

But I'm guessing you know that already. ;)

MikeR

9. Coldmoon

It has to do with the way it is setup. The top banner is a flash presentation. If Flash is off, you will see just the image and the buttons will be non-active. I will ask the web team to look at this and see if there is a better way to present the graphics in a non-flash situation.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.