System Maintenance Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by firzen771, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

any suggestions on a good system maintenance/optimizer program like system mechanic for example

some good free ones and some good paid ones, preferably free though, other than Ccleaner which i already have yet i find its a bit limited and doesn't have all the tools that other programs have

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

3. firzen771

well atm i do have system mechanic 7 which i got a while ago, but ive noticed that its kinda buggy, so im looking for something the replace it, but ill give tune up a try, any one else got suggestions?

*EDIT*
    im using the trial of tuneUP and so far and i love it, simple, not buggy and does basically what i need, ill think about buying this, but i also want to keep my options open

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Tune Up Utilities 2007 or WinXP Manager among many others.

Too many to mention, they all are good to some extent; user's discretion is the final say. Good luck.

5. firzen771

im really looking for one that just does its job, and does it well, and wont create more problems than it solves (system mechanic) and thats why i made this topic

6. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

7. firzen771

lol, says its freeware in the name, but says u need an account to download and account is $19.95 for 1 year

8. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

'771'.... try trawling 'download dot com', you should be able to locate a FREE download link to an "ezClea" (maybe a version late thou). Or trawl other noted download sites... there should be numerous copies of ezClea. ;)

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ace Utilities for me.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Free one? Try this: Glary utilities free version.

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The new version System TuneUp is equally good.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My 2 cents...

After lurking in PC forums for a few years, and after trying a reasonably well known cleaning/tweaking app, I have come to the conclusion that in no way would I let anything auto-clean or "tune-up" my systems. (Don't want to appear to be bashing any one app. I am against all of them.)

Now, all I do is selectively use parts of CCleaner to clean up some temp file areas and so forth. Even then, I look over the list every single time before cleaning to know exactly what's being removed in case I see something that should stay. (Since my delete list is quite limited, CCleaner has done a good job in this respect.)

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use an archive to clean my system snapshot, which cleans more than registry cleaners, history cleaners or any other kind of cleaner.
    The problem with all these cleaning tools is that they don't know what to clean for EACH software on your system. Sometimes they know some softwares like Firefox, MSIE, Adobe Reader, ... but that is not enough because there are ALOT more softwares on this planet and those require also cleaning and are always forgotten by these cleaning tools. :)

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I make it a habit to refresh archive 2 times a day,in case you something don't like and want ditch it, lets say a software or update you installed in between,then refreshing your system takes 20 to 30 sec. cause system and archive in this case are almost equal.

16. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

CCleaner + JKDefrag is my maintenance suite :D

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    Great idea, indeed, but.... I worry about this:

Easy to handle new update/installation, because everything is a new addition to the system, and are required by the system. No problem here. Then...

After uninstall a program, problems may occur, how are you going to clean up all junks left behind by that particular app ? refresh with an archive? which one ? Because you do not have an archive w/o that app, unless you go back to the one made x days ago, just prior to installing that app, if so, you tend to lose all installation between that time and now. Is that task painful ?

Take care and be happy.

18. ErikAlbert

I do some video-editing every day and that increases the size of my system partition with 5gb or more. I know some objects accidently that are responsible for this, others I don't even know where I can find them.
    I just copy/update from my archive to my off-line snapshot and everything is gone in 10-15 seconds and my volume is back to normal.
    It's not only about video-editing, also the rest is removed, all in one single hit and without any effort, except some mouse-clicking. I'm still thinking how I can improve my cleaning.
    I love it when I can do alot without doing or knowing anything. :D

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I case of your expanding C part.No problem with me,everything personal stuff is on a second internal drive so my system disk stay the same,except for new installs and software updates.

20. ErikAlbert

I was talking about stuff, I don't need anymore, the final result is stored in my data partition, but not the rest.
    I have to clean my system partition anyway, because DVD Shrink stores information, that is not created by me, I don't even know where it stores that info, but when I refresh it with an archive, it's gone.
    If one software does this, how many other softwares create such objects, while they are doing their job ?

21. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

As stated above, some good freebies but older versions, jv 16, Regcleaner: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html Regseeker is another but very powerful, keep to the green items for now. Something to keep in mind, Tune Up Utilities is sending me an upgrade notice for 2008 but I don't know when it will be released.

22. ErikAlbert

Test it on DVD Shrink and you will see how powerful Regseeker is, Eusing registry cleaner didn't remove it and R-Wipe & Clean didn't remove it either.

Regarding DVD Shrink (DS) :
    DS always analyses a DVD, before it starts shrinking the DVD.
    If you use the same DVD again, DS doesn't analyse the DVD anymore, because DS knows it has done the analyse already. This means that DS creates an object somewhere on my harddisk to store that it did already the analyse for that specific DVD.

DS doesn't need to remember this for me, because once I'm done with this DVD, I won't use that DVD anymore on my computer, because I don't keep any video stuff on my harddisks. I use blank DVD's to store video stuff.

I don't know which object (file or registry) is used by DS.
    I don't know the name of this object.
    I don't know the exact location of this object on my harddisk.

What I do know is :
    - that DS remembers each DVD and that object is getting bigger and bigger each day and that is BALLAST.
    - that my cleaning tools, don't remove that object.
    - that my clean archive doesn't have that object and when I refresh my snapshot with its clean archive, this object will be removed.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To clean any temp. files created by windows and/or application i use ATF cleaner and CCleaner,offcourse your way of doing it is most thorough.

24. ErikAlbert

That's not good enough, I want my system partition completely back as it was during the first installation and my archive is based on that.
    How can CCleaner know what to clean for EACH software, that is impossible ?

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

yep got it...now understand your talking about offline[work] snapshot with no anti virus no connection,then its reasonable to keep it pristine like it was at first install and always revert back after finishing your video editing. ( je brengt me op een idee !!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.