system.ini

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by zappa, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zappa

zappa Registered Member

In WIN98, the system.ini in particular one looks to changes made to the shell=Explorer.exe and possible changes to that line. Last night it changed to shell=explorer.exe and I edited it back to it's original state. Because it's easier for me to look at a piece of paper I have printed out I checked out a few of the previous system.ini reports I printed out and that particular line has always been shell=Explorer.exe with a capital E.

I find it "normal" in my system for file letters to change from capital's to small case and vis-versa.

Anybody else with WIN98se have letters change as a normal course of action?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi zappa,

Quickly changed to a W98 box - this one never changes:

regards.

paul

Attached Files:

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Clicking "File Details" reveals (as expected):

Attached Files:

4. zappa

zappa Registered Member

Maybe what you meant was it never should change, LOL. But it did. Hmmmm. Ran TDS, NOD and nothing. Hmmm.
    Thanks.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It doesn't make any real difference to Windows whether the file starts with a capital E or not.

I'm sure it's just a quirk.

6. Win98...Folder Options>View>Files and Folder.."allow all upper case" is available to you. Now that does not answer your question..but if your grab the little question mark at the top right by clicking on it..then go back and click on those words.."allow all upper case"..it will tell you how 98 handles most things by default....as far as upper and lower case.

I can get messed up at times and get confusing..but 99 percent of the time it hold true.

7. Ddraigcoch

Ddraigcoch Registered Member

Prova Trojan or sometimes known as Q Trojan will drop explorer.exe into your C:\windows\system folder, you might want to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.