System Information doesn't showup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Carver, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I click "System information" and "Help and support appears", I click "Help and support" and "Help and support" appears. HELPCTR.EXE is on my computer as well as msinfo32.EXE. I used the command prompt as in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300887 I got C:/"msinfo32 /? (or any of the listed switches) is not recognized as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I am Using Windows XP Home SP3. Thank You in advance.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you have made any changes to XP, reinstalling the Service Pack 3 might correct any errors.

4. GlobalForce

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

No changes, I tried reinstalling HELPCTR but the dialog box asked for Helpcenter ether on the computer or My Windows XP disk W/SP3, the computer came with SP2 I downloades SP3 from the Windows update site.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you need SP3, it's located here. It is a large download however.

7. GlobalForce

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Ok just where do I uninstall SP3.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Carver, here is How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer.

Before you go through all that, right click on System Information and in the Shortcut tab, check the Target. It should be C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe and if not, click the Find Target button and navigate to the MSInfo folder to re-target to msinfo32.exe. Click Apply, then OK. Try it again. Let us know if that helps.

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yep, I checked it before.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Carver, didn't know you had done that. Figured that's the simplest step to take. Looks like you are on your way to removing SP3. Best of luck!

13. 2good

2good Guest

had almost same problem with blank system restore & information use the link apply & reboot, just maybe. good luck

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vb script

regsvr32 /i mshtml

there are single spaces

Thanks for the help
    Stealth83
    [Edited by Stealth83 on 2006-01-15 00:13:38]

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It was a lot of fun trying to update Windows when IE8 Kept losing and recovering the tab had to wait till the computer just updated on its own. System Information works again. I will leave putting Sp3 back on and Creating an Integrated XP Setup Disk with SP 3 for tomorrow after work and to all the people who posted Thank you.

15. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

My solution:

I had this same problem (msinfo32.exe = detailled System Information not present and 'Help and Support' Page appears ...) - with index.dat file NOT present on OnlineCache.
    I downloaded (from Internet) index.dat file (this 84.3 KB!) on direction:
    C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache.
    Also, for security: click Properties (in index.dat file), and notch this case: 'Only for read'.
    And msinfo32 reappears.
    :argh:

Also read this thread from Bleeping Computer: 'Where is Msinfo32.exe ...' here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic48090.html

PROROOTECT - only for read:thumb:

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Like PROROOTECT said the annoyance is an 'index.dat' file issue probably.

Please see this post in 'Index.dat file' topic.

If you haven't the 'index.dat' file in "%SystemRoot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache" folder you can try this .bat file (by MBRIX) to work out the problem:

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

My .dat file was accidently deleted up to 5 years ago, I didn't notice it was gone till ColdMoon asked for a report file from system information regarding Returnil 2.0. I installed Windows XP Home and a new HD on my old computer. So when my new computer was missing a .dat file in C:\Windows\pchealth
    offlinecashe I just copyed the .Dat file fron the other Windows XP computer and I got the System info to reappear. After System Disapeared and was replaced with Help and support I deleted the .Dat file and then did a chkdsk scan. The .Dat file in C:\Windows\pchealth\offlinecashe seems to have a effect on the chkdsk scan because when I did a chkdsk with that .Dat deleted and the chkdsk found errors the chkdsk then asks you to use the /F switch to correct the problem the dialog then askes you if you want to restart the computer now Y/N and if you answer Y and hit enter the computer is suppost to restart and go right into a scan and automatily fix the problems that chkdsk found, now with the .Dat file gone the computer doesn't do that corrective scan at least when I used the Command prompt version of chkdsk. The computer just starts normally.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  18. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi Carver,

Yes, you have got an unusual situation in place.

:thumb:Index.dat for OfflineCache! This is very fair solution. Yes, copy index.dat file from another computer.

Please see also Page 2 (February 1, 2009) in this Sysinternals thread: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17666&PN=2

With Kindest Regards,

PROROOTECT - only for read:thumb:

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Interesting read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.