System does not boot after restoring its partition - can I fix it ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by abs, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abs

abs Registered Member

Hi everyone.

I've got two partitions on my HDD - 'System - C' and 'Data - D'. Yesterday I tried some experiments on my Os (Windows XP). Before that I made a backup with Acronis True Image Home 9. I made a backup of 'System' partition and AFAIR MBR too. After experiments I restored my system partition. In the restore wizard True Image asks if I want to restore 'System' partition or MBR. I couldn't mark both (system+MBR) to restore. So I marked 'System' and restored. Ofcourse my system can't boot after that. So I tried again choosing MBR to restore this time. It didn't help too. Is there any way I can get my System back ? Please, help.

Oh, i tried fixboot and fixmbr commands from Windows Recovery console started from Windows CD - thay doesn't help either.
    I noticed that there are no such boot related problems if I backup whole drive with all of it's partitions...

Best regards,
    ABS

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Which build number of Version 9 are you using? At least one of the early builds had several problems .

Xpilot

3. abs

abs Registered Member

Build '3 677'.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello abs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please clarify, were there any errors during the restoration process? When did they appear? What did they say?

Are there any error messages when you are trying to boot your system? When exactly do they appear? What exactly do they say?

Could you please also clarify, what is your system layout (number of partitions, what are they used for)?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I think you might have a "drive letter change" problem. Very common when trying to restore windows xp.
    You need to verify what the drive letters are in your non-booting windows xp registry. In your case it needs to be "c" because that is what it was on your source drive.
    You need to download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" and use that to bootup your computer. The demo comes in a selfburning file, but it's better to unrar it and burn the ISO with nero. The demo will read your registry and give an accurate picture of all the drive letters on that hard drive.
    What you tried fixmbr/fixboot won't fix the problem. The only thing that might work is using a windows98 floppy disk and typing "fdisk/mbr" that will cause the windows registry to reset the drive letters. If you discover that you do have a drive letter problem, that can be easily fixed just by changing the drive letter back to "c".
    Rule out your drive letters first before doing any other troubleshooting.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello abs,

To restore the C partition and the MBR without D partition you first need to check the tickbox adjacent to Disk 1. That will also select your C and D partitions plus the MBR. Now click on the D partition tickbox to remove the checkmark, which will leave ticks in the Disk 1, C partition and MBR tickboxes only.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.