System crash in middle of Partition Resizing

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Ian E, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian E

Ian E Guest

Hi Ladies and Gents,
    I have recently loaded Acronis Partition Expert 2003 build 278 on to my system (Yep, the free one)
    I used this to resize the C: disk partition on my (single) hard disk, using free space from my D: disk partition. The resize was 10GB. The operation was run using the Wizard.
    C: from 5GB (700MB free)=> 15GB
    D: from 55GB => 45GB

Operation 1 of 2 (enlarging C: ) appeared to run successfully but at the end of this operation Windows XP Home Edition crashed and then rebooted and recovered "from a serious error".

Now Acronis recognises
    15GB on C: (but still only 700MB free) and
    45 GB on D:
    What happened to the 10GB transfered?

Also, bizarrely, Windows Explorer recognises
    C: still as only 5GB but
    D: at the reduced size of 45GB
    I seem to have "lost" 10GB of disk space....

Incidentally, I also have the problem where the Boot Disk Creation option only seems to generate a blank CD-R when explored in Windows....

Heeelp!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ian E,

Thank you for purchasing Acronis Partition Expert.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Please create and send the Acronis Report in the way described at
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 along with the description of the problem to support@acronis.com. We will do our best in order to help you.

As for the bootable CD, you will not see any files in Windows Explorer because the CD contains Linux system and it is not viewable by Windows system. You may try to boot from this disk to make sure that actually it is not blank.
    --
    Best regards,
    Ilya Toytman

3. rheumatoid

rheumatoid Registered Member

I have the same problem and can't download an update. It seems there is not one for the personal edition.

Help please!!! I want my drive space back.

R.

4. rheumatoid

Have got the space back by deleting the partitions in computer management and then recreating another new partition utilising all the free space but I still can't extend the primary partition without a crash and subsequent loss of space. There is almost no space left on my primary partition which is a worry :(

Am using XP SP2

5. IanE

IanE Registered Member

Hi Acronis Support.

Same problem as rheumatoid: can't download an update (says I am not registered and I certainly am...).

Anyway, I sent you the System Info file and Acronis report by private e-mail.
    Please let me know the resolution soon as possible as I, like rheumatoid am getting low on C: space and don't really want to uninstall everything and start again....

Thanks

6. rheumatoid

Hi IanE

would appreciate if you could let me know if you get a 'private' solution. Have been thinking about buying Disk Director Suite 9.0 but am a little unsure now - waiting to see what level of support we get here!

R.

7. Acronis Support

Hello rheumatoid,
    Hello IanE,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

Most likely you use Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Personal. We don't provide updates for this product. It is shipped with computer magazines and its main goal is to show you the interface and simplicity of use of Acronis products.

As for the problem you have described please try to check your disks on errors and if it doesn't help please contact support@acronis.com and send us Acronis Report file.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

8. rheumatoid

Thank you for your response and offer of help. Whilst you do not provide updates for the personal edition many people will use the product and if they have the same experiences as myself and IanE they will not buy Acronis again. A product such as this should not render a users PC virtually unuseable even if it is largely a demo. Can you clarify that we are entitled to the upgrade price for buying Disk Director?

Thank you.

9. Acronis Support

10. rheumatoid

Before I risk the upgrade have you had an answer from support IanE?

Thanks.

R.

11. IanE

IanE Registered Member

Hi Rheumatoid,

Agree with your sentiments entirely. Why ship a product entitled "full product" on a magazine and then tell all that this is really only to look at the product and not to use it?

The product should be functional within the limits of it's advertised use. At this rate I am rather unlikely to upgrade as I can only see risks and no benefits...

No I have not yet seen a solution to the personal e-mail sent to Acronis.
    I do hope a satisfactory solution is found soon.

Regards
    IanE

12. rheumatoid

Hi IanE

I have noticed a 'standard' reply to problems asking complainants to contact acronis directly using a report method/form. I wonder how many problems are actually resolved? There are not many solutions provided to issues raised on these boards! It raises questions about their ability to support their products. Lets hope we do not have to criticise them in public and go to an established competitor such as partition magic for a solution.

R.

13. rheumatoid

Anything to say Acronis?

14. rheumatoid

Gave up waiting. Bought Paragon Partition manager and had it installed and problem fixed within 5 mins without reading the manual. It can also merge partitions which Disc director can't.

There is a 30% discount if you find their site via google which makes it less than a disk director upgrade from the destructive partition expert. Who is to say it would be any better either and the support is poor - couldn't risk it.

Bye Bye for ever Acronis.

R.

15. IanE

IanE Registered Member

Well Acronis I have also given up waiting.
    I am truly disappointed that you send out Free software that damages machines and then take no action in trying to remedy the fault.

I have e-mailed in good faith to you to resolve the issue with all information sent from my pc. But it looks like you are not interested.
    Even waited over a month....

Thanks to your software I currently have a hard disk 15 GB smaller than when I started.

Not exactly what was planned...

At least I hoped you'd have the courtesy to respond. :mad:

16. Acronis Support

Hello rheumatoid and IanE,

We are really sorry for the inconviniences. Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Personal works in the way it is described. It differs from Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Professional in the number of operations it can perform. However the situation described is not normal even for personal version.

You may send a letter with the report.txt file (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) to support@acronis.com along with the description of the problem and our Support Team will certainly help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.