System corrupted.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FrozeNn, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

Hi dudes, I believe my system has been corrupted after an illegal power-off of my CPU due to an electric cut-off. Ive not able to start my PC(it justs go back to the Boot up screen again when it reaches desktop). Ive did a couple of scandisks. Boot up is still slow and scandisks still shows bad results like "recovering lost files" etc.

So anyone knows of anyway of how to repair the software side of the CPU such that its back to normal. I believe my hardware hasnt got any problem, just that its the corrupted software.

I have no XP disk however to run the XP Repair.:(

So please, anyone has any alternative in repairing the software side of the system? o_O

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

You might want to give Spinrite a try (from grc.com). It is paid software but one of the best.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know it's a bit late, but you might want to consider exploring disk imaging software. Backups would make your problem trivial.

Pete

4. ravin

ravin Registered Member

tap the F8 key while booting and under options select last known good configuration.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Call your electric company and demand that they fix it. It works for me where I live. They will fix anything that dies on your during power outage. You fix it, provide a receipt of payment and get full reinbursement. So check it. Maybe you can go to a shop, get your Windows reinstalled / buy one, then get the money back. But talk to them first.
    Mrk

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In your case I would try a simple restoration of a backup file, that contains your system partition [C:]. If you don't have a backup, its HIGH TIME to consider a backup solution. Some users have to learn it the hard way :)

7. FrozeNn

seems that its a little late for me to backup.

I was thinking if using Windows XP Professional Disk can help repair the system?

Im on WIN XP PROFESSIONAL 2002 OS here.

So wonder if a normal win xp professional disk will do the job. my friend had a upgrade disk from Home Edition to Professional. Will that do the job?

thx.

8. ErikAlbert

1. You don't have an original winXPpro CD. How is that possible ?
    You lost the CD ? You destroyed the CD ? You did an illegal installation of Windows ?
    2. And you don't have a backup of your system.
    3. And your computer is probably full of personal data, you don't want to lose.
    4. And most probably you don't have a backup of your personal data either. Not even on CD/DVD ?
    5. All you have is an upgrade CD from winXPhome to winXPpro of a friend.

Good grief man, you have put yourself in a crazy situation. How can you work with a computer like this ?
    I'm not familiar with such situations, because I would never put myself in such situation.
    So I give up and I sincerely hope you get help from a member that knows how to fix it.

9. Peter2150

Erik

You are being unnecessarily harsh. A lot of computers from Dell, HP, etc come with out any disks today. You bought a specialty computer like I did, and thats very different.

Pete

10. ravin

ravin Registered Member

if you tried to boot unsuccesfully using the last known good configuration. then go to the link below and print it and follow the directions for how to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents windows xp from starting. it will get you to a restore point that you can load and restore.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

let us know how it goes.

11. ErikAlbert

I wouldn't buy a computer without installation CD's. What's the point of having a computer, that can't be installed from scratch. :)

12. Peter2150

Erik, I wouldn't either, I got both Recovery DVD's and the Windows CD, but most of the Dell's, HP's, IBM's etc don't come with disks any more. They hidden "recovery partitions" in there place.

Pete

13. ErikAlbert

Can you use these "recovery partitions" without losing your personal data o_O

14. dog

dog Guest

No, Generally they recover the entire drive to the factory condition. You'd have to backup all your personal data to removable media, before using the utility.

15. ErikAlbert

Thanks. I have to pay extra attention to this when I ever buy or recommend a brand computer. Certainly not my personal choice.

16. FrozeNn

Thanks guys. Im able to boot properly now but still startup is relatively slow :O

17. ravin

ravin Registered Member

18. FrozeNn

thanks. scanned.

ive downloaded bootvis and transition time from the XP LOGO to my desktop has increased significantly.

Only problem now is that the icons at the taskbar seems to be loading too slowly. MSN icon and Kaspersky icons appear only after abt 2 minutes after desktop is seen.

Any soln??

Thanks a lot in advance and for the patience.

19. ravin

ravin Registered Member

you may need to look at what's starting up when your computer start up. thier is a simple program called asviewer located here http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products
    download it and run it - check the items in the list if you don't know what they are write them down then do a google search ie nwiz is a nivdia driver etc. pay particular attention to the ones in the Run section. once you find something their that you do not want starting you can then pick that entry do a right click and delete. Note you should make a backup of the registry before making changes just in case. or create a restore point so you can go back if things go wrong. good luck:rolleyes:

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

By the way, how did u do it?

Also I will suggest to go for a backup now for future with some imaging software (plus instant recovery software if u like to add more).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.