System clock changed & windows host file missing!!!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Guardsman, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guardsman

Guardsman Registered Member

As I'd a bad experience when I was re-direct to another website (can't recall) while searching for some free screensavers.

AVG Anti-Vrius intercepted and deleted a file containing "Backdoor Trojan" in the "Temp" folder.

And immediately the computer time changed and the windows host file was gone!!!:mad: o_O

Any recommendation of security software(s) which can prevent/stop malicious programs from changing or tampering with the system clock and also from deleting the host file?

Best regards.

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Spywareblaster ver 4.0 Read up on it and how to set it up.Also download Superantispyware and run a scan first before anything else.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A limited user account.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any good HIPS like CFP Defence Plus, EQS etc will do it but it,s not so easy to deal with such HIPS if u are novice.

BTW u need to scan ur PC with a couple of good scanners. Try a scan with Antivir and AVG AS and SAS.

Can upload the deleted file after recovering it from Quarantrine( if it,s there) and PM me the link, I will see if it causes any changes to system time and hosts file.

5. Guardsman

Guardsman Registered Member

Thank you guys for the prompt respond and advise.:thumb:

After scanning with AVG AS and SAS, there's no suspicious file(s) found.

I'd reset the system clock back to normal and done a system restore with Norton Ghost.

As for the file containing backdoor trojan in the Virus Vault has been deleted.

Now, I'd added SpywareBlaster and MVPS's Host file with other security programs (AVG Anti-Virus and WinPatrol).

Hope that it would more secure and confidence when surfing the net.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

What browser do you use?

consider migrating to firefox+noscript or opera

that should help too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.