Sysrestore by Xia Software (new snapshot/backup program?)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kupo, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is there any way of controlling what snapshots it deletes.?
    If there isnt then isnt it a waste of time creating more than one snapshot.:blink:
    Windows restore does not delete restore points in this fashion as the allocated space for restore points can be controlled.
    Im still not convinced this is a viable alternative to windows restore,.
    Far easier to use images.
    Also i notice it alters the MBR.CTM did the same and the amount of horror stories involving that and uninstalling indicates to me that this is not a program i would feel safe using.
    Regards.:thumb:

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

BTW, as stated in the website. To uninstall SysRestore, don't uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs, you should run the uninstaller in the SysRestore Program File.

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I have just uninstalled CTM in order to install the Sysrestore. And as usually CTM got uninstalled without any problem. I uninstalled it to a 1 month ago snapshot. It took 5 minutes.

Then installed the Sysrestore. Installation was quick and smooth. Then I made heavy updates for Windows and progs by PSI and Win inbuilt updater. Then made a snapshot. All went ok. I will make further tests soon.

The only inconvenience I noticed so far is that you can manage Sysrestore only in an administrator account. It's very inconvenient for one whose routine account is a standard user account.

4. The Red Moon

Is there any particular reason why you uninstalled CTM?:blink:

5. Solarlynx

When CTM was installed on one my comp, about 1 of 5 starts of the comp (sometimes 3 in a row!) got freezed.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've been trying Sysrestore on a Windows 7 desktop.
    So far, so good...
    No problems...
    It has been fast and reliable. :thumb:

7. Solarlynx

I tested this question. So snapshots A to E are taken in succession. When you return to B from E, all older snapshots C, D, E are deleted (even if you lock them).

Then if you use Sysrestore free and take 11-th snapshot then your 1-st snapshot is deleted automatically, even if you lock it.

I had Comodo Time Machine on this comp and it gave issues I mentioned in my previous post. There are no such effects with Sysrestore.

8. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Under that scenario, that's also what would happen when using FarStone RestoreIT, whereas with RollBack Rx (and its clones) none of the snapshots would be deleted.

TS

9. Solarlynx

I have just uninstalled Sysrestore. All went without problems and very quick. It got uninstalled to current snapshot.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. The Red Moon

Why did you uninstall?o_O

11. Solarlynx

Just to try its uninstall.

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sysrestore by Xia Software

After 4 days, things went bad. :thumbd:
    I installed Shadow Defender again. :thumb:

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Re: Sysrestore by Xia Software

What exactly happened?

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This thread reminds me of me years ago. I'd try dozens of Windows programs a month. I had a drawer system on a tower & would clone back & forth with Acronis MigrateEasy.

Now if I try more than 2 dozen programs a year I'd be surprised. Now I use my laptop 99% of the time & use EaseUS Todo to make compressed images of my OS partition. And I back up my Data to external drives.

Sometimes though I'll go through 3-6 Linux Distros in a week. But using Live medium makes it easy compared to my old drawer system with only 1 partition (OS + Data).

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

After trying to Recover (i.e. Restore to the SnapShot), the PC could Not Boot...:mad:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: Sysrestore by Xia Software

Tried on xp and seems to work ok. Test recovery was ok as well. When I needed it after testing a malware, recovery failed. It could not boot. Got rid of it.

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

This software is vulnerable, and it cannot allow recovery.
    The Boot process mess and the system is screwed...:mad:

18. Solarlynx

I try Sysrestore on Win-7 32-bit for 3 weeks. No major problems.

19. Solarlynx

Ooops!
    I unexpectedly got bad result from the Sysrestore. I decided to uninstall it as my comp started to work much slower. I press to uninstall in the Sysrestore uninstaller. I thought it will prudently ask to what snapshot return the state of the sys part. Instead it uninstalled to the current state which is rather bloated by some undesirable progs.

Anyway I have a few images to restore to them. Thanks to Clonezilla. :thumb:

In general Sysrestore is still raw. I hope it will be developed to the level of fully matured Rollback or Eaz-Fix.

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sysrestore by Xia Software needs a lot of improvement
    in terms of Stability and Features.

21. Solarlynx

I fully agree, it was a pain to uninstall the Sysrestore to the snapshot I needed. Though I must say I know only 2 free Time Machines - Comodo TM and Sysrestore. One my old comp is good with Comodo TM, but new comp was good only with Sysrestore in term of freezes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  22. Solarlynx

Now I use Rollback RX. It's much quicker then the Sysrestore and bug free in coparison to Comodo Time Machine.

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I wish there was a Freeware like Rollback Rx...
    Let's see what CTM 3.0 will bring WHEN(?)
    C-o-m-o-d-o decide to launch it...:doubt:

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Trying to understand it correctly True write versus Fake write

True Write
    1. When data is accessed for update intend, Sysrestore hooks are triggered and old data is written to a safe/hidden location on a sector by sector basis (not whole file, but only changed parts or data sniplets are changed).
    2. Windows accesses the updated data as it were normal data (no redirect)

Fake Write
    1. All updated data is rerouted to a safe/hidden location. The data-index is changed to ensure that the new data is used when accessing the changed data sectors ....
    2. Windows access to the changed data is rerouted to the safe/hidden location were the saved data sectors are stored on disk

True versus Fake
    1. True writing uses one more disk write per updated sector (two versus face only writes the updated data on a different location). Fake is faster than True
    2. Reading the update data, invokes a redirect with fake write technology while true write fetches the most recent data on the real file system. So True is faster than Fake (no overhead disk head movement redirecting to where teh changes data sector is stored).

Conclusion: True is faster at disk reads, while fake is faster at disk writes.

Question: Having two write operations theoretically creates a delay and a power-down risk. The "True Write" operation can in theory be cached (kept in memory) until disk activity is reduced. When caching is implemented what is the maximum allowed cache delay in miliseconds (e.g. when disk activity has not decreased in x milisecs, the data will no longer be cached, but a write will be enforced to empty the cache and prevent data inconsistency as a result of an abrupt power-down).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  25. Solarlynx

It's last version 3.4 is about 8 months old (dated 22 June 2012 on Softpedia). It's not so bug free not to be developed.

It must be an abandonware. Sorry to say that. I hoped it would grow up to a good snapshot Time Machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.