SysRescue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Football, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football

Football Registered Member

I will make a silly question. I upgraded today from ESS3 to ESS4 and I tried to create a SysRescue CD. The program told me that I had to install Windows AIK. I clicked the link I was given and after one hour and thirty minutes the download had been completed. Now what must I do? When I click on the file, NeroBurningRom starts. ESET keeps on telling me that Windows AIK has not been found on my computer.
    Thank you in advance

2. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

I noticed that, so why do you need the windows component to make a rescue disk ??
    Surely this should not be needed just for a rescue disk. Acronis does not need it to make there rescue disk.

3. Football

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

Have you taken a look at our Sysrescue Knowledgebase article? http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2103 It contains some good info and directions for using Sysrescue. If you have any more questions though, I will be happy to answer them the best that I can.

Thank you,
    Richard

5. Football

Thank you for your reply. Well, I installed Windows AIK and then I opened ESET Sysrescue. I tried to create an ISO file. Unfortunately, the error which you can see below was occured. So I tried the second choice, to create a CD/DVD. Immediately I received the message that IMAPI version 2.0 not found and that burning will not be possible. I just installed a program with the huge size of over 1 gigabyte just to create a SysRescue disk and the process cannot be completed! My operating system is Windows XP Professional SP3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. Caos

Caos Registered Member

Have you reboot your computer after install Windows AIK, etc...

In my WXp Sp3 with Eset Smart Security v4.0.314, I have create ISO image, and USB without anyproblem.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

Made the disk. Very simple

1) Install ESET 4.0
    2) Download and install Windows AIK
    3) Begin making ESET Rescue CD
    4) Chose either installed directory or the intall package (msi) - I chose the second
    5) chose name-password
    6) In the drivers section be sure that there are 2 inf drivers in the field. If not - press Refresh (I think so. I have a russian package ;) )
    7) Press next to begin making the disk.

8. Football

I have got still problems in creating an ISO file and a SysRescue CD.

9. Rmuffler

Hello Football,

I have added restarting your computer after installing WAIK to our SysRescue Knowledgebase article. Before running SysRescue, did you restart after the WAIK installation?

Thank you,
    Richard

10. Football

Yes, I restarted my computer after installing Windows AIK. I also tried to create an ISO file two minutes ago and the same error was appeared.

11. Rmuffler

Hello Football,

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you,
    Richard

12. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

I presume that you have also applied the IMAPI update to XP which the Eset KB article says you need to apply for XP and earlier OSes?

~M

13. ForgeMaster

ForgeMaster Registered Member

I have been asking about the same issue in another place. Here is what I found:

Could not make the SysRescue disk without AIK.
    Could not install AIK till I installed MSXML.
    It said that these would not work right for other operating systems besides XP sp1, XP sp2, windows 2008 server, etc. ( I note that someone posting above used XP sp3 with no problem,but I had sp3 and it would not work)

The reason for this exercise was to get malware out of a place in the OS that could not be cleaned with the computer running on the OS. Seems that you cannot delete or modify a file that is necessary for the system to function. So a live CD is used for this, of which SysRescue is one.

So I uninstalled sp3 for XP
    Then I downloaded and installed MSXML
    Then I downloaded and installed AIK
    Then the SysRescue disk creation process worked well.

I have not actually done the scan yet, but have some questions about it. The computer I downloaded to does not have a CD burner, so I cleaned off a USB thumb drive and put it on there. Here are my questions:

If I can get the USB to boot, is the SysRescue OS equipped with the virus signatures to clean ALL files on the computer or does SysRescue get the updates via network connection in the process of cleaning? To phrase that another way, can I use the same SysRescue over and over, or do I need to download a new one every time I want to run it, or are there updates to add to the existing files on the USB?

Can the SysRescue disk be made on another computer, or must it be created on the same computer being cleaned, even if both are running ESET-SSv4?

Is it possible that the live CD-SysRescue will delete files that are critical to XP booting and have to do a rescue run of the XP disk to get running again?

Is there any other documentation to tell about the inner workings of SysRescue more than the cookbook-howto directions in the ESET KB?

I think the combination of ESET-SS with SysRescue and SysInspector is incredible. You can use one tool to record system and registry settings, clean a computer and do a live-CD rescue in one package. I have not seen that kind of flexibility anywhere. ESET is to be commended for this amazing toolbox.

thank you,
    ForgeMaster

14. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

IMAPI 2.0 is requested only if you want to burn SysRescue to CD/DVD. For iso image or USB version, you don't need it.

Regarding mentioned error, I see "Error 3" in log window. It means: The system cannot find the path specified. It occured at the moment when Wizard created iso image. Folder where iso image should be created you can change in "Advanced Setting" in "ISO folder". Default is "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents". So it looks like the folder which is specified as destination for iso image does not exist. Please check, that the folder really exists. Or change the destination to some other location, for example "c:\temp".

15. atolica

atolica Registered Member

Hi guys

Regarding sysrescue.

I have a client who's got a nasty boot virus on her laptop and a few dozen rootkits and other crappy malware. The boot virus, won't let me boot off the flash drive using sysrescue, Windows XP disk or any other bootable disk. The virus lies on the first sector of the harddisk, so I can't start a fresh installation booting installation disks. The problem is that being a laptop I have to open it, and low format the disk in my main computer as a secondary drive. I don't want that, yet.

What on earth could I use to allow me to boot off the dvd or flash drive? Nothing I tried so far worked. And when I say nothing, I really mean nothing. Vistape, WinPE, Eset's Winpe(sysrescue). Rootkits are thriving on that harddisk like is the Mardigras.

I don't have the space to tell you what bugs are on that disk. Taking out the disk from that notebook is the last thing on my agenda.

Thanks and waiting for your input.
    Atolica

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Does the BIOS allow you to change priority of the booting devices?

The BIOS shouldn't be directing IO activity to the internal drive if the flash or DVD boot order is higher than the internal drive(s)

I would suggest trying a Linux based boot disk. From here you might be able to remove the active and/ or boot flag, thereby allowing the external booting device to boot!

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.