SysRescue problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bodgy, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm getting a 'missing boot manager' error when trying to boot from the SysRescue CD.

I've tried this a couple of times and each one has the same error message.

My AIK must be correct as I've made a bootable CD for Acronis products with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Colin

2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Which version of AIK are you using?

Did you install IMAPI 2.0 or did you have the SysRescue Disc Wizard just make an ISO?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Ah, I might have missed out the IMAPI step, I'll have to check.

Colin

4. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Check if your SysRescue CD contains \bootmgr file in root and \Boot\BCD file. If so, still it is possible that they are not burned correctly on the CD media. I would try to burn some other CD/DVD or to use USB stick.

When SysRescue Wizard burns iso image to CD/DVD, it doesn't verify written data. So if you have some corrupted media, it is possible to observe such a behavior at boot. To set lower burning speed in Wizard may help, if CD is less readable.

5. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

IMAPI2.0 you need ONLY if you want SysRescue Wizard to be capable to burn iso image to CD/DVD and only for WinXP, otherwise not.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well I used Nero to burn the ISO to the CD, I am using XP, but as I mentioned, AIK has worked OK for an Acronis boot environment.

In \BOOT I do have BCD 256K file and in ROOT I have BOOTMGRV 325K file.

Now in my original VistaPE CD (for Acronis) I made with the same AIK, I have BOOTMGR at 428K + a vistape.cd ID file.

\BOOT does have a 256K BCD and there are many other files, but that is to be expected for this particular CD.

Colin

7. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Try to burn ISO image made by SysRescue Wizard to some other CD to be sure the used one is not scratched and less readable.

Or you can try to create bootable Rescue USB key via SysRescue Wizard. It will be useful to know if you observe same error.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

AIK 1.1

Colin

9. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Yes, that's OK. Otherwise SysRescue wizard will inform you that you have some previous version of AIK. It's not problem of AIK at all.

10. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Posting about MS AIK.
    I downloaded and installed in my Vista.
    I made the CD with no problems.

a few weeks ago I wanted to uninstall AIK but I could not find an installer or any way to uninstall it.

Then I just deleted the AIK install folder, I searched the registry for any AIK entries but none came up.

I used my jv16 program to check the registry for bad links etc.
    I was amazed at the number of AIK entries that were in the registry, dozens of them, I allowed jv16 to remove them.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have solved the booting problem.

Just renamed the BOOTMGRV to BOOTMGR and then ran the SysRescue utility.

Colin

12. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

I saw in your previous post, that you wrote BOOTMGRV, but I thought that "V" was a mistake.

Of course you should have BOOTMGR file. Now there is a question how is it possible that you had BOOTMGRV? Where did you rename it then? This file comes from AIK installation: c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\bootmgr.

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I copied the file into another folder renamed it and dragged it back.

I wonder if in making GRUB4DOS boot CD recently, caused the name change. It might be that I changed it and forgot I'd done so. I know GRUB requires it to be renamed.

However, a problem has been thrown up with ESS. I have four partitions on my OS drive with two XP's and W7 + a blank. C and D are the XP OS's. The scan choice box correctly lists the partitions and all the child folders are correct. But only ticking the D: partition causes ESS to scan the C: partition only.

Something I'll investigate further when I'm in the mood.

Colin

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I am about to create a SysRescue disk but frankly I am quite frightened reading all the stories here about error messages, missing software utilities in GBs, renaming directories etc. Having Vista Business fully patched, can I create a disk straight on or will I have to download any additional software at first? What a disk has to be used CD or DVD, R or RW?

I am not sort of a testing guy, I try to keep my laptop in the best condition and will do nothing what should in any way harm its so far experienced smooth operation.

Thx.

15. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

All depends. In order for SysRescue to make a disc you'll need to have at least Window AIK 1.1 installed. Maybe you already have it with Vista; I don't know for sure. Only sure way to find out is to run the SysRescue Wizard. If it says you need AIK 1.1 you'll have to download the AIK .iso, burn it on a DVD, run the DVD for the setup of AIK. There might be 2 other Apps that you will have to install prior to AIK: MSXML6 and .NET Framework, both are included with the AIK download .iso .

If you need the latest version of AIK this download link would be your best shot, I believe it is the latest version of AIK, same one I used and it worked for me, even with XP Pro SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-D890-4932-81A5-5B50C657DE08&displaylang=en

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, thx for having me enlighten but I don't want to mess up my laptop with software that I will need only for such purpose. I can live without SysRescue as using a disk imaging software, so if I would catch a virus, I will go back to the healthy state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.