SysRescue Minimum Requirements

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rnfolsom, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

The NOD32 v 4.2 (.71.2) User Guide, on page 35, describes the SysRescue minimum requirements as follows:

"5.5.1 Minimum requirements
    "ESET SysRescue (ESR) works in the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) version 2.x, which is based on Windows Vista. Windows PE is a part of the free package Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK), and therefore Windows AIK must be installed before creating ESR. Due to the support of the 32-bit version of Windows PE, ESR can be created in the 32-bit version of EAV only. ESR supports Windows AIK 1.1 and later. ESR is available in EAV 4.0 and later."

A Google search for Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1 came up with the following Microsoft site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08

Scrolling down suggests that the Minimum Minimum requirements are Windows XP Service Pack 2 with KB926044.

I think that rules out ESET SysRescue for Win2kSp4 (which I am continuing to use). Correct?

Or maybe there's some sort of workaround?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

Roger Folsom

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

So I am a little confused here. Do you have an existing sysrescue disk you have been using up to this point, and you're trying to create a new one?

Or are you trying to use the Windows AIK with an older OS that is not listed as a supported one?

Thanks,

Matt

3. rnfolsom

Matt:

Although I've been using Eset's NOD32 for several years (beginning with version 2.5.x I think; at least it was 2.x), I've never used SysRescue, and I had forgotten about its existence, until I discovered it in the NOD32 4.2 User Guide while I was looking for something else.
    Almost. I'm continuing to use Windows 2000 Sp4, but I haven't tried to create or use SysRescue, because the first step was to understand the system requirements.

If I did create SysRescue, I wouldn't be heavily dependent on it, because I routinely do backup images of my partition C: (containing Windows and all Application software) and partition D: (data), onto an external disk whose cable never is connected to my computer unless I am creating or restoring an image backup.

In case of an "infiltration" that NOD 32 couldn't fix, I probably would boot into a CD (containing my Apricorn EzGigII backup software, apparently an early or else simplified version of Acronis) to restore the C: partition backup image as the simplest way to get rid of the infiltration.

If the infiltration was in my data, then restoring the D: partition backup image would be at least somewhat painful, as I would lose any data accumulated since the last backup.

Just now, it occurred to me to look at my Start Menu's NOD32 shortcuts, and to my surprise (for NOD32 I usually use its system tray icon), SysRescue was listed in the start menu.

So I clicked it, and got the following message: "ERROR: Minimum requirements to run the program are Windows XP Sp2 or Windows Server 2003 Sp1."

So that unambiguous straightforward statement (which really should be in the NOD 32 User Guide) answers my question that started this thread, assuming there's no workaround other than reverting to an earlier NOD32 version, which I wouldn't want to do.

Thanks very much for your response. I hope my answer makes sense.

Roger Folsom

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

5. rnfolsom

Tony:

Thank you for the Eset KB article link, and especially for the good news that if I create SysRescue on an XP computer, and put it on a CD, use that CD on my Win2kSp4 computer. (I'm assuming that I wouldn't need to install SysRescue on my Win2kSp4 computer at all.)

I've got an older laptop (Dell C800, 500mg max ram, 40gb disk) that isn't doing anything at the moment, so --- unless you think that 500mg wouldn't be enough --- I will put XP on it and go from there.

I'm drowning in other projects at the moment, so I won't be able to get to this instantaneously, but I will post a message here (likely with questions <sad smile>) as soon as I either get stuck or actually get the job done.

Thank you again, very much!

Roger Folsom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.